Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keeping your cat off the ironing board >
  • Keeping your cat off the ironing board

• Keeping your cat off the ironing board

Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
    Power Poster

Lots of wonderful tips here. I need to try some. My cats love the ironing board.
    Old 11-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Maybe keep a spray bottle of water handy, and if she does it again -- ZAP!! Right in the puss!! She just might get the message to keep off your board. :lol: Either that or teach her how to iron!! :-D

So sorry about your burn. My friend has burned herself with her iron twice in the past few months! It sure has been painful for her. Hope you heal quickly!! :wink:
    Old 11-04-2010, 05:40 PM
    Gal

Cats love to be up off the ground so is there another warm place up fairly high that she can go to? I usually put something on mine so he can not sit up there as he is way too big, you can see from my Avatar what size he is and when he jumps off the whole thing gets thrown sideways! It only took a couple of nasty accidents and I learned the hard way! I put up a couple of emply card board boxes which have stopped him. Other than that I would have to put him out and then he claws at the Cedar doors with his big claws and rips up the wood trying to get in. I have an old chair which he likes and I have his cushions on it and a snuggly cover, all hidden behind my painting stand, he seems to be happy when he thinks we can't see him!

Gal
    Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    I have been working today on making quilted pillows and things were going a long quite well. My cat always hangs around the ironing board. I don't let her on it and today she jumped up on it I went to shew her off as I never let her on the ironing board and the iron fell on my arm and I got a nasty burn. What do you do to keep your cat off the ironing board?
    a bottle of water with very fine spritz. usually one squirt is all they want !
    Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM

My sweet Bella (my avatar) is always at my side/front/back, when I'm sewing. She's gotten on the ironing board once and it fell over and things, including her went tumbling. Ever since that, she's not gotten on it.
    Old 11-04-2010, 06:39 PM

Ouch!

I don't try to keep Her Highness off anything. I recently got the Scotch Fur Fighter Hair Remover. I love it! I keep it close by and run it over the big board before I use it. I am so cheap that I take her "flea comb" the one with the very fine teeth & comb the pad after using it. It gets the picked up hair off and cleans the pad right up. None of this use once, throw away. I'll use it over & over until it won't pick up the hair anymore - then I'll change it. Oh, she's 16 years old and a black Persian with 6 mile long fur!!!

Hope your pain isn't too much to deal with.
    Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM

My cat likes playing with the dangling iron cord. He's never jumped on the iron board, but I chase him away from the cord simply because I don't want the iron to hit him or the little dogs in the head. Once he's gone, he finds the Lhasa puppy to harass and doesn't come back. It's a short term thing, hence repeat the next day.
    Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM

try aluminum foil, just leave a sheet on the ironing board. sounds weird I know but it worked for me.
    Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Lay some scrap bubble wrap on the ironing board when not in use, and cat will only jump up there one more time.
    Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 PM

I used the spray bottle technique, only took one squirt. I have a special bed for her in the sewing room that she seems to know is a safe place and that is where she stays. The other kitties don't bother to come into the room any more, guess the word of the "squirt bottle" made it's rounds. Good luck!