Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keepsake Fabric Quality >
  • Keepsake Fabric Quality

• Keepsake Fabric Quality

Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 AM

My current quilt is being made with Keepsake fabric and it is wonderful. I have ordered from they several times and have never had a problem.
    Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 AM

That was the information I needed. Thank you all. I can and do find some good fabric at Joann's, but it is very difficult most of the time and impossible much of the time.

I don't have a very big stash and I add to it as I need a particular fabric/color. Much of the good stuff that I've bought at Joann's has come off the Red Tag table, stuck in amongst the really awful home dec. & garment sale items. If it was $9.00/yd. to begin with and is marked down to $5.00/yd. and I have a 10%-off-entire-purchase coupon, I do o.k. Sometimes I get an "end-of-bolt" deal, too, if I ask for it (should NOT have to ask!).

I won't be afraid to order from Keepsake now.
    Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 AM

Keepsake Quilting carries name-brand quality fabrics. I don't think that they identify who the makers are - at least not in their catalog - but I usually recognize the fabrics as having been part of some maker's line. And the people at Keepsake Quilting are very skilled at putting together combinations (medleys) that include various makers.

Keepsake Calicos is just a name that JoAnn Fabrics uses to distinguish their everyday calico line from their novelty group, or their Debbie Mumm fabrics, or their special-purchase-bargain-price fabrics. You'll find that the quality of the Keepsake Calicos is quite variable. Some of the brands that are included in that line-up are made by Classic Cottons, Santee, Fabric Traditions, and MBT (division of Marcus Brothers Textiles). And it also includes others that I have no idea who they're made by.

I would NOT be afraid to order from Keepsake Quilting!
    Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 AM

I have bought fabric from Keepsake catalog and it was beautiful.
    The quality was excellent.

Margie
    Old 01-11-2010, 06:00 AM

Keepsake Quilting (local to me, too) also has an unconditional guarantee on anything you purchase from them. If you are not happy, for any reason at any time, send it back to them (insured and prepaid) for a refund or exchange. There's a return form on every packing slip. The Keepsake Quilting store opened in the late 70's in response to the renewed interest in quilting.

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet JoAnn's called their fabric brand 'keepsake' in order to take advantage of Keepsake Quilting's reputation. And FYI, there is also no relationship between Hancock's of Paducah (sellers of only high quality, name brand fabrics) and Hancock Fabrics (the chain of craft and store brand goods).
    Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
    Reputable professional quilters brag in magazine ads about the excellent quality of Keepsake Quilting Fabric. I love Keepsake catalogs and am happy when one arrives in my mailbox. However, I'm very disappointed in the quality of Keepsake fabrics at my local Joann's store, so I try to avoid them. Do you think there is a quality range - from crappy to excellent - of Keepsake fabrics ... where some stores get the poorer quality on their shelves? Their catalog shows an extensive selection of lovely fabrics but I would be afraid to order from them.
    There is a quality range for all fabric mfrs. BUT...remember those ads are paid ads. Most professional quilters use LQS fabrics. They won't use less than quality fabrics for making show quilts that are worth a ton of money/prizes. Having said that, I am in no way commenting on this brand of fabric - only on paid ads that write statements for people to repeat :) You just have to try things for yourself.

I haven't tried any because I have enough here locally that are in the show-worthy and/or and economical range. I don't find a bargain by the time shipping and handling is paid...but I do live where I can get these items, and many people don't. I have heard many pro's and con's about this particular fabric, and personally don't know what to believe. If you like the pattern, you can try a FQ and see what you think. And let us know!
    Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 AM
    JJs
    Banned

Whittles is a great place - I've been happy ordering from them online and they are great people in person...
    We stopped in on our way home from picking up our grand daughter - 5 months later we stopped again and we were remembered~~!! that totally impressed me - the local Joanns folks don't even remember us and we've been in there numerous times!
    Whittles sells stuff that's a few years old...
    http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/
    I'd rather do that for $3.50 a yard than the junk that's been appearing at Joanns....
    as somebody said, if it feels like sandpaper forget it...
    or you can hold it up and read the paper through it...

yes, I have some wallyworld stuff - it's used for laprobes at nursing homes - where it is washed to death then tossed out....
    Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 AM

Wow! This is really good to know. I've never heard a comment by someone who lives close them - didn't even know it was an actual LQS type store vs. internet only. Thanks!
    Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 AM
    JJs
    Banned

ps - finding the lqs quality fabrics at discount prices - like at Whittles, fabric by the pound, Sirs, etc, in no way lowers the QUALITY of the fabric - it's just a year/two years "out of style"...
    shoot, I have stuff older than that in my stash!
    Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 AM

Their online store is great! I have used them several times and really like the merchandise and the customer service. I have never been disappointed.