• Main
  • This was kind of sad... >
  • This was kind of sad...

• This was kind of sad...

Old 01-21-2011, 02:19 PM
    Banned

So I went to this, early this morning:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/art/2167969724.html

The woman who passed had to have been some sort of hoarder; just tons and tons of crafting stuff that had never been opened -- of every imaginable kind (and covered in dust). There was yarn for knitting, cross stitch patterns, quilt patterns and kits, scrapbooking stuff, paper making stuff -- seriously, every kind of craft you could think of was represented. I even saw a woodworking kit.

I found about 15 yards of decent fabric, some rulers, and a couple of quilting books that looked interesting. Unfortunately, most of the quilting fabric had already been sold to a local quilt shop, so there wasn't a ton of that left; the daughter that was there at the house was selling it at $1 a yard; and she gave me a ton of fat quarters for free, because she wanted to just get the stuff out of there.

My husband said, "Boy, I hope this house isn't a preview of what you're going to be like someday!" I assured him that I was completely in control of my fabric purchases, and that he had nothing to worry about! But the whole thing made me a little sad, though -- all those items that she had bought and never even opened...
    Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
    Google Goddess

glad you got some cool things and yes that is sad that she bought stuff and never used it
    Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Glad you were able to find a few things. I hope all the other stuff finds a good home. I worked at a small yarn shop years ago and when one of our elderly customers died her family actually had the nerve to bring in some of her stuff and ask for a refund. She didn't have that much so I couldn't figure why they didn't just donate it.
    Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM
    Power Poster

glad you found some nice stuff!
    Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM

I could be me when my time comes ... but I will have had a happy life.
    Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM

I have been looking at my stash and thinking it is more than one person needs or could use and that I need to go through it and share. I became even more convinced when someone on here posted a link to someone who had "organized" their stash. OMG, I dont ever want that much fabric or have to have my family dispose of it. I am not criticizing her, just convicting myself. I think it is hard on the families to have to see the waste and have the work of disposing of everything.
    Old 01-21-2011, 03:11 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I could be me when my time comes ... but I will have had a happy life.
    I completely agree!!
    Old 01-21-2011, 03:11 PM

It is sad...I'm determined to clean a lot out of this house this year. DH passed a year ago and I need to reorganize everything but my sewing room. A girl has to have something.
    Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
    Power Poster

It is sad. Maybe she was a lot like my mil and couldn't throw anything out. I have received material from her but she said the rest isn't for quilting. I said that maybe I could do something else with it. Not yet! I hope thats not me!
    Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 PM

I went to a sale like this nearby a couple of years ago and it did make me sad. This woman had filled every room with fabric. It was all very orderly but even the garage had shelves with fabric. It was all quilt shop quality. My friends and I were so awestruck, we only bought a few pieces and some books and walked out of there in silence. We thought the same thing you did, we felt bad for the lady who lived there and had been put in a home by her children. She passed away a short time after that.