Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Kind of a strange quilting question-HELP! >
  • Kind of a strange quilting question-HELP!

• Kind of a strange quilting question-HELP!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:51 PM

Velcro - The best stuff is in the hospital. The throw blood pressure cuffs away after each use, so I saved them. That Velcro hook is amazing stuff, thanks to NASA. It's not scratchy, it's short hooks and they don't catch on everything. You can use any loops from regular Velcro.
    Old 10-17-2015, 03:06 AM

I've often thought of doing a zipper quilt also....mainly because I get too hot with a lot of covers and he loves them. For him, the more the merrier! Never thought of a sleeping bag zipper. Wonderful idea!!
    Old 10-17-2015, 06:13 AM

you could do it like a duvet tab cover. Overlap the top middle with a few tabs and decorative buttons. On the underside have the overlap a couple inches with some snaps. This would hold it closed without the snaps touching people and the top tabs would hold it in a decorative manner. Also easy to take apart. The tricky part would be using a pattern that would tie in this closure (example using a small star in the border and making the tabs with the same small star pattern). Please post a picture of the finished quilt.
    Old 10-17-2015, 06:15 AM

Make a beautiful quilt full size..then volunteer to take it to the laundromat for her once a year. Done.
    Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 AM

The problem I see with this (I know I'm being a spoiled sport - SORRY), is unless you use a heavy duty zipper. Your zipper will pull apart. The plastic zippers by the yard are small plastic zippers. Not made to be pulled in different directions at the same time (over large spaces). The longer the plastic zipper is, I have found them to be weaker (less stable). So if you're sewing down the middle using two twin quilts, if person A turn away from person B (now A & B are back to back). But in turning both A & B roll away from the middle of the bed pulling quilt with each of them, you will have a zipper being pulled apart (maybe not the first time, but it will happen). You have to use the small plastic zippers, because this lady doesn't want the zipper showing. So I see a zipper pull apart. Again SORRY
    Old 10-17-2015, 06:57 AM
    Power Poster

I don't know about washing velcro and getting strings on the rough sides. then it wouldn't attach well again. How about fabric ties as part of the design?
    Old 10-17-2015, 08:04 AM

You can quickly hand sew it together with a sort of baseball stitch and it could be taken apart easily. ....that's how old coverlets were made on narrow looms. I personally would not want a zipper. Thinking about this it might weaken the fabric at the join over time. I like the idea of two quilts the best.
    Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bullock2us
    My Mom was asked this question the other day. Her neighbor wants to make 2 twin size quilts and zip them together in the middle without the zipper (it is a sleeping bag type zipper) showing so that she can unzip them to wash them because she cannot fit a large quilt in her washing machine. I suggested making a large one and taking it to the laundromat to wash on their big washes but I guess that is a no go. Anyone have any ideas how you would do this? Thanks
    OOPs - I meant with a zipper -not without
    Old 10-17-2015, 07:46 PM

Wow-what alot of great ideas! Thanks everyone- I will have to call my Mom tommorow and mention these ideas! What a talented bunch there is on here!