Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Kindle Quilting Magazines >
  • Kindle Quilting Magazines

• Kindle Quilting Magazines

Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 AM
    RST

Rose Marie -- anything can be lost in a flash, really. Not to be all depressive or anything, but it's true.

Just because you have an e-reader, it doesn't mean that you give up all paper books. Most people who love to read will have both. Special childhood books, heirlooms, favorites with lavish illustrations, things like that are certainly worth keeping. I've found that I have access to a much broader array or authors on my e-reader than in bookstores or libraries. I grew up reading a lot of British children's authors, but had never been able to find these books here, short of paying exorbitant prices. I've been enjoying reading many of them as e-books. I've also found a lot of authors I might not have otherwise taken a chance on.

How do you select books? Well, you can search by author, or title, or subject or genre. You can subscribe to blogs that will give you daily lists of the books recently released on ebook format. You can subscribe to other blogs that list books that are free or very low cost. You can look at the suggestions that Amazon sends you based on your previous choices and ratings. Many people prefer to do their e-book browsing to shop on their desk top, with access to mouse and keyboard and full color screen. The beauty is that you can buy books anywhere you have 3-g or wireless-- so I bought the sequel to a book I was reading while on a camping trip. Or I found a free copy of a book report book for my son while waiting in the doctor's office.

RST
    Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by RST
    Rose Marie -- anything can be lost in a flash, really. Not to be all depressive or anything, but it's true.

Just because you have an e-reader, it doesn't mean that you give up all paper books. Most people who love to read will have both. Special childhood books, heirlooms, favorites with lavish illustrations, things like that are certainly worth keeping. I've found that I have access to a much broader array or authors on my e-reader than in bookstores or libraries. I grew up reading a lot of British children's authors, but had never been able to find these books here, short of paying exorbitant prices. I've been enjoying reading many of them as e-books. I've also found a lot of authors I might not have otherwise taken a chance on.

How do you select books? Well, you can search by author, or title, or subject or genre. You can subscribe to blogs that will give you daily lists of the books recently released on ebook format. You can subscribe to other blogs that list books that are free or very low cost. You can look at the suggestions that Amazon sends you based on your previous choices and ratings. Many people prefer to do their e-book browsing to shop on their desk top, with access to mouse and keyboard and full color screen. The beauty is that you can buy books anywhere you have 3-g or wireless-- so I bought the sequel to a book I was reading while on a camping trip. Or I found a free copy of a book report book for my son while waiting in the doctor's office.

RST
    Could you share the names of some of the blogs that you have found useful? Thanks!
    Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 AM
    crt

I have found most of my books by going on Amazon and looking at the genre I like. Also, Amazon also suggests what I might like based on what I've looked at. And I also check out the top 100 free books regularly. I will have to start looking at the blogs and other places too, because I'm sure there is a lot more that I will find.
    Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Question: it has been said that you can access (I presume that is the correct term)these books for kindle at Amazon...or other blogs....are there charges if you choose to want an offering? How do you pay for these electronic books-if there is a charge, I am presuming by credit card....identity theft being what it is nowadays I try not to do any purchasing via cc - my new mantra is cash or nothing........
    I get the books I am interested in from my local library...that is what I pay taxes to support....I know library now offers ebooks too....I wonder if they will be feeling the pinch as did Barnes & Noble and Borders and how many other "bookstores". I know this is definitely the electronic age; we are evolving just as we did from agriculture to industry, horse and buggy to cars (wonder what is in their future)...but I just don't want to be electronically connected....I want my anonimity(sp) sometimes.....actually somedays I don't even know where my cell phone is-usually at the bottom of my purse-dead!!!!!

Oh, another kindle/or similar devices question...someone said it can hold thousands of books....can they ever by deleted by the owner of the device? Is this thing battery operated, thus having to be plugged in nightly? Oh, my head hurts, I am going to go curl up on the couch and read a good book!!!!! ha, ha,
    Old 10-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Question: it has been said that you can access (I presume that is the correct term)these books for kindle at Amazon...or other blogs....are there charges if you choose to want an offering? How do you pay for these electronic books-if there is a charge, I am presuming by credit card....identity theft being what it is nowadays I try not to do any purchasing via cc - my new mantra is cash or nothing........
    I get the books I am interested in from my local library...that is what I pay taxes to support....I know library now offers ebooks too....I wonder if they will be feeling the pinch as did Barnes & Noble and Borders and how many other "bookstores". I know this is definitely the electronic age; we are evolving just as we did from agriculture to industry, horse and buggy to cars (wonder what is in their future)...but I just don't want to be electronically connected....I want my anonimity(sp) sometimes.....actually somedays I don't even know where my cell phone is-usually at the bottom of my purse-dead!!!!!

Oh, another kindle/or similar devices question...someone said it can hold thousands of books....can they ever by deleted by the owner of the device? Is this thing battery operated, thus having to be plugged in nightly? Oh, my head hurts, I am going to go curl up on the couch and read a good book!!!!! ha, ha,
    For purchasing books on Nook, you do have to have a credit card on file. I've been doing it now for a couple of years and have never had any problems. You can delete books if you choose to. It is battery operated. My NookColor lasts about 8-10 hours (if I have the WiFi turned off) and it does have to be plugged in to recharge battery.
    I think that this answers you questions.
    Old 10-07-2011, 10:31 PM

I am confused on the 3g part... I understand you can download books anytime on 3g and its free. can you browse the web or get email on 3g or just wifi?
    Old 10-07-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by crt
    I've had my Kindle for about a month and love it. I have several books on it already, and almost all of them were free. The couple that I've paid for haven't been more than $1.99. I absolutly love mine. I have discovered several authors that I wouldn't have read before because of the free books. I then checked on some of their other books, and most of them were around 2.99. I had doubts about whether I'd like it, but have been nothing but happy with it.
    Ditto. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I was very unsure, and waited a long time before I bought one, but I already love it. I'm still reading my way through my print books, and print is still my first choice, but the portability of the Kindle and the number of classic books available free or very cheaply is great.
    Old 10-08-2011, 12:10 AM

I got a couple of magazine issues for free for my nook and I really don't like reading them on it. Maybe quilting ones would be different. The ones I have are BH&G (the regular one) and MS Living.
    Old 10-08-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by haircut2
    I am confused on the 3g part... I understand you can download books anytime on 3g and its free. can you browse the web or get email on 3g or just wifi?
    3G is just a way to connect with the source or place for buying books (or downloading purchased or free books). It is the mystery connection that cell phones used. You can read books that you have already downloaded anywhere you are, even if you don't have a 3G or WiFi signal, but you must have one of those (depending on what device you have) in order to communicate with a store or library. I hope I explained this correctly and clearly. I'm still trying to understand how voices get through wires on old fashioned land lines. If I think too much about all this new-fangled stuff my head wants to explode!:)
    Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by echoemb
    Does anybody know if there is any talk about converting the quilt magazines into Kindle versions? With the new color kindle for $199 it would certainly be a good idea and I would love to have those magazines in my Kindle.
    YES, Kindle does have quilting mags. Go to:
    Amazon
    Kindle Store
    Quilting Magazine