Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • King size LC- still having trouble with the math! >
  • King size LC- still having trouble with the math!

• King size LC- still having trouble with the math!

Old 07-24-2018, 04:26 AM
    Power Poster

Great tips, everyone! Maybe I'll just add a 5 inch border to make it 120x120. We want it nice and big, as I said.
    Thanks!!!
    Old 07-24-2018, 04:31 AM
    Power Poster

Hi Sweetie!
    How tall is your bed, and how much hang down do you like? I like a lot. Cannot wait to see a picture.....
    Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Hi Sweetie!
    How tall is your bed, and how much hang down do you like? I like a lot. Cannot wait to see a picture.....
    Hi honey- I'm not sure. I want a lot of overhang for sure. I need to measure. I have one that fits well and one that is too small. I want this one perfect. The fabrics are yummy! I'm going to send it out b/c I can't deal with anything that big.
    Old 07-24-2018, 07:07 AM

That is less than 20" extra on each side. Your mattress size and distance from floor should be more than that. My advice would be to lay the top on the bed, leave it and every time you walk into room register your feelings. If it is too long, or if you decide you need to have a border and then it would be too long, remove a row and use them for shams. If you smile every time you enter, then you will always smile at it and you have a winner!! (BTW, this is the same technique I use when auditioning very different border ideas.)
    Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 AM
    Power Poster

I spoke with the woman who is long arming it and she said that 115 is the largest she can go so I guess I'm going to leave it at that. But she said the length is no problem so maybe I'll just make it super long and make that part the sides.
    Hopefully today I will sew all the blocks together. I'm really excited about this one.
    Old 07-26-2018, 08:08 PM

SusieQOH,

I made the log cabin (my avatar, in the corner of this post) to use as a spread for my queen-size bed. It is a huge quilt, and it has a deep cherry red border (4" wide) and a white-on-white border (2" wide). I purposely made this one so that it would hang to just above the floor. I think the quilt is about 130" X 130". I made my quilt so that it would have enough length to tuck under and over the pillows (like a conventional bedspread would do). I have also made king-size log cabins for my two sisters, with custom-made bedskirts and pillow shams. I made my own pattern for the pillow shams -- they're very easy to do. If you're interested, I can post photos. Of course, you can make the pillow shams and have them quilted like you're going to have your quilt top done. Just a suggestion! Just because you have 100 blocks, you don't have to use all of them for the quilt. I had another idea that I haven't followed through with -- make your quilt the size you want, make your bedskirt, and turning under the edges of the blocks, sew them to the bedskirt equal distance apart so that the bedskirt fully matches your quilt spread! Just another wild idea!

P.S. Watch your layout on your log cabin blocks -- I found out that an uneven number of blocks, i.e., width-wise, will give you a lop-sided pattern in the quilt top!

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 07-26-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Additional content
    Old 07-27-2018, 06:29 AM
    Power Poster

Jeanette- thanks so much for your input!

I must have measured wrong because when I sewed it all up it was app. 100X115.
    I put it on the bed and it was perfect! Nice and long and nice and wide. My mattress isn't one of those really big ones. I guess you would call it standard. I believe it has a pillowtop but not too thick.
    I'm sending it out this weekend.
    Thanks, all!
    Old 07-30-2018, 07:11 AM
    CR

I have a Queen size bed and when I purchase a bedspread I buy for a King size.