Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Knee lifter >
  • Knee lifter

• Knee lifter

Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Default Knee lifter

Im just learning about the knee lifter and wonder if anyone have this and if they like them? Is this only with certain machines or can you buy it and attach to any machine? Seems interesting?
    Old 04-10-2012, 06:10 PM

I believe your talking about the raising the presser foot using a knee lift attachment. I have it on both the Bernina and the Baby Lock. I imagine other machines have it by now. Years ago I saw a universal attachment that would fit any machine. I don't know if they still make them. maybe it was in Clotilde catalog.
    Do I like it. Absolutely. It is especially nice when machine quilting. There are new machines also available that do it automatically with some sensor I guess. Just place the fabric under the foot and they lower to sew. I don't know that I would like that - at first anyway. I know I don't like that I gave up control of the needle when I opted for the needle stopping in the down position. That is a must-have feature for machine quilters too, if you ask me.
    Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 PM

I love love love it! I just got a new machine with one and have been using it for making my kids' clothes and diapers. I haven't done much quilting with it yet but I am sure I'll love it.
    Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM

I have one on my Janome and use it every time I do SID quilting. It's so nice to keep your hands on the fabric and be able to lift the pressure foot so the fabric can be turned. Not a feature I use daily, but when I use it, I find it quite handy.
    Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Years ago the Singers (and probably some of the others as well) had the knee thing that would stop and start the machine, like the foot pedal. Mom's 66 Singer had that and I grew up using it. Haven't used one that worked the presser foot!
    Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Bernina has had the knee lift for years. I think it is a standard feature on their machines. I have used one for 25 years and lost when I don't have it attached. I am just starting to do applique and it is a must for all of the turning. When I bought my first Bernina, it was one of the selling points for me.
    Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 PM

They usually come with the machine, usually on higher end models. Its not something you can purchase.
    Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM

I have the knee-lift on 2 of my machines. It is really nice , but takes a little getting used to. My new Babylock Ellisimo has the auto lift function and I really love it!
    Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak
    Years ago the Singers (and probably some of the others as well) had the knee thing that would stop and start the machine, like the foot pedal. Mom's 66 Singer had that and I grew up using it. Haven't used one that worked the presser foot!
    I had a Singer with that feature and I still catch myself trying to start the machine by pushing on the knee lift that raises the pressed foot? lol
    Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 AM

I have one on my Bernina and I love it especially when I FMQ.