Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Kona Fabrics and Robert Kaufman Fabrics >
  • Kona Fabrics and Robert Kaufman Fabrics

• Kona Fabrics and Robert Kaufman Fabrics

Old 06-07-2010, 12:13 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by JanetM
    Correction: I should not have referred to finished fabric as greige goods. I was trying to offer information to quilters that these "first run" fabrics are offered for sale by non-LQS's at a discounted price. Not all of them are inferior, but some are. Please see this article:

http://quiltbug.com/articles/choosing-fabric.htm
    as the Kaufman representative took great pains to explain, the myth of "first run" vs. "first quality" is just that. the article is wrong.
    Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 AM

I think its totally admirable that Robert Kaufman responded to this thread!!! KUDOS to you!!!!

I've enjoyed working with Kaufman fabrics and love most of their designs. Its extremely gratifying that this company thinks enough of its patrons to go the extra mile.
    Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Correction: I should not have referred to finished fabric as greige goods. I was trying to offer information to quilters that these "first run" fabrics are offered for sale by non-LQS's at a discounted price. Not all of them are inferior, but some are. Please see this article:

http://quiltbug.com/articles/choosing-fabric.htm
    as the Kaufman representative took great pains to explain, the myth of "first run" vs. "first quality" is just that. the article is wrong.
    I respectfully disagree. Robert Kaufman is speaking for Robert Kaufman only. I attended a seminar and the speaker was a rep. from a large fabric manufacturer (can't recall which one-this was 10+ yrs ago). Most manufacturers run scores of bolts of lower grade greige goods to test their print and dye. They do not destroy this fabric. It is sold under a different brand name or without a brand name to discounters.
    Old 06-07-2010, 09:31 AM

They do not destroy this fabric. It is sold under a different brand name or without a brand name to discounters.
    And that's just the point the the Robert Kaufman Company rep was making. They do NOT sell it as their own brand to places like JoAnn's. Therefore, a KonaŽ Cotton solid sold at JoAnn's is the same quality as a KonaŽ Cotton solid sold at any LQS. Whatever they may or may not do with any 'seconds', they are NOT sold anywhere as KonaŽ Cotton Solids.
    Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 AM

I am not in disagreement with the Robert Kaufman article in any way. My position is that the "test runs" do make it to the marketplace as non-branded fabric. Patrice says this is an urban myth.
    Old 09-28-2010, 01:15 PM

I am only able to find Kona Solids at my local Hobby Lobby & JoAnns. Quilt shops in our area do not sell it and I prefer to shop locally when I can.

I have never been disappointed in these lovely fabrics. My only complaint is that I cannot get my hands on enough of the beautiful colors and I've been trying to find the wonderful sample card online but they're so popular, they've sold out in every online shop.

Maybe the clerks who assisted made a mistake in calling a fabric Kona Cotton when it was actually something else. These are top quality cottons, have a perfect weight and drape. I'm using Kona White as my background fabric for the Jane Stickle Quilt. It's amazing to work with!!

Happy Quilting
    Old 09-28-2010, 01:26 PM

Wow! I am impressed that Robert Kaufman and/or his associates responded here.
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:37 AM

I think, and it is only my opinion, that we get a favourite like Kona Solids and think that is it and yet there are other reputable fabric manufactures that are supplying equally as good a product, at varying prices.

If you got to http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/ and click on Solids you will see names like Mona; Benartex; Fabric Freedom, etc; making an incredible range of colours at really good prices.

It is the same as Moda Marbles, they can charge the price they do because we insist on buying it and yet there are, again, some wondeful fabrics out there which can do an equally or even better job, have any of you looked at the new "Stonehenge" range by Northcott, a range to die for IMO http://www.northcott.net/?sid=2&layo...abric&fabid=17
    Old 01-09-2011, 11:43 AM

This was a very interesting thread. Stuff like this is very helpful. Thanks to the last person for putting a comment so that the thread came to the front. I joined after this thread had gone cold.
    Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Thnak you. I will definitely check it out. Gerry