Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LA or Mid arm with a bad back?? >
  • LA or Mid arm with a bad back??

• LA or Mid arm with a bad back??

Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
    I guess what I meant about "How long does it take?" would have better been asked "How long do you stand and quilt at one time?" I can stand and bend, but I just can't stay bent for a long period, if I want to be able to stand up straight in a reasonable amount of time..lol. If it is something you can take a break from occasionally, than I would probably be ok. As far as the maintenance, the same applies, unless there is a ton of weight to deal with.

I have a King size bed and I would like to be able to make a quilt for it someday, but maybe it's not in the cards? I just figured that instead of spending $2K for a larger throated machine, with tons of stitches I would never use, that I would invest in something like this. Maybe I should just stick with bags, clothes, and small stuff, and not bother with a new machine at all....if only I didn't have such a dismal relationship with my machine! lol

Thanks for the thought :)
    I work at the machine for about an hour and then take a break.

Many longarms are priced between $15K- $35K. Take a long hard look at the machines and their features, at quilt shows and online. Don't rush. It's a big investment. Just do your research and make up your mind what you really need before you spend a lot of money.
    Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM

i spend an hour at the frame in the morning and then i do some piecing then i go back to the frame in the late afternoon for another hour or so.

i like to quilt some every day on the frame to keep my skills fresh.
    Old 06-08-2011, 03:09 AM

Well, I can say with absolution, that I am not in the market for a machine that requires a 2nd mortgage on my home! lol If I were planning on doing this for a living, sure, but this is just for my own kicks and gifts. I have been researching a lot and I don't see how the Bailey's is so much cheaper, unless it is a "you get what you pay for" thing??

I am leaning heavily towards your set-up Fancy. I am sure it will do all I need and I will probably just skip the frame until I run into a used one. I noticed that you don't FM on your 98, is that just because you have the other machine, or other problems?? Lucky you, for where you live! I would be off in the city taking all sorts of classes with those art quilters, surface designers, etc. constantly...I guess my DH would miss me? lol
    Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 AM

viking's mega quilter comes in a 9 and 18" throat
    Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 PM

My sister has a bad back and she uses my Brother 1500s on a Gracey frame, with her back to the wall. It is usually pushed to the wall while not in use and we pull it out to use just enough to get behind it. She often uses a pantogram as a pattern and guides it from the back with the wall for support. I do not have a bad back and can only quilt on it for a short time until I need to take a break.
    Old 06-09-2011, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the info, Debby. I will have to look at the Brothers as well. I am not very familiar, but have also been checking out BabyLock's Jane straight stitch machine. We have a really nice BL dealer, but it's a vac/ sewing shop combo, so not really set up to try out a variety of machines.

@Romanojb..I have a viking sewing machine now, but I want to check out some other brands. Thank you though :)
    Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    I have an A-1 Elite longarm with a 23" throat.

I can sit on a surgeon's stool at the back of the machine and scoot along when I am quilting a pantograph. I rarely quilt with pantographs though. I usually quilt custom or freehand designs from the front of the machine, and I stand.

You asked how long it takes to quilt a quilt, and it depends. It's like asking how long it takes to sew a top. It depends. It depends on how complex the pattern and how closely it's worked. I have finished a double bed quilt in 2 days,but I have also taken 2 weeks to quilt a double bed quilt. It depends on the design.

There is a lot of bending, reaching, and stretching involved in loading and unloading a quilt. There is machine maintenance involved as well. All of mine is done while I stand at the machine-- oiling and greasing the machine,changing needles, changing thread, winding bobbins.

My best advice for you would be to go to a big quilt show and try out the longarms and midarms. See which you like best. Ask about quilting at the machine while seated and see if they will let you try it that way.

Then if you feel like it is still an option for you,find a local shop that gives classes and lets you load and quilt your own quilt. Try one quilt and see how you feel after going through the entire process with one quilt.

It's better to do the legwork and find out if you're suited for it before you lay out a bunch of cash.

Best of luck to you in your research.
    I completely agree with Donna -- it's best to test-drive as many different machines as you can before you make a purchase. I have a Gammill with a Statler Stitcher, so I can stand, scoot on a stool, or even walk away. But the most important thing that I would say about standing is to have a dealer make sure that your machine is at the perfect height for you. My dealer checked that while he was setting up the machine, and made it so I wouldn't have any unnecessary strain on my back.

As far as finishing all your work in one day? No, you can stop at a certain point, and leave the quilt on the machine. You just need to remove your side clamps so you don't have any tension on the fabric.

Good luck with your adventure!
    Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
    Thanks for the info, Debby. I will have to look at the Brothers as well. I am not very familiar, but have also been checking out BabyLock's Jane straight stitch machine. We have a really nice BL dealer, but it's a vac/ sewing shop combo, so not really set up to try out a variety of machines.

@Romanojb..I have a viking sewing machine now, but I want to check out some other brands. Thank you though :)
    If you have a dealer close to you, I would start there. They will be the best resourse if you need service or have questions. I purchased a Pfaff machine about 12 years ago, and the dealer was quite a distance and It was a major inconvenience to get assistance when I needed help.
    Old 06-09-2011, 04:05 AM

I purchased an HQ Avanta' 18. One of the main reasons I purchased it was because they do offer optional sit down handle bars.
    Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 AM
    Power Poster

before considering such an investment you should visit shows/shops with long arm-mid arm set ups that you can (test-drive) and see how it is FOR YOU.

i have a long arm- it kills my shoulders- and when i get very involved and don't take regular breaks my back can be pretty stiff...but i (try) to take breaks to avoid soreness.
    a quilt can take anywhere from a couple hours to weeks --- depends on how much time you want to spend- the density/design on the quilting- the size of the quilt-
    mid-arms with sit down frames will mean sitting for hours at a time- long arms mean standing for hours.

when i go to quilt i set a timer- and take a break every 45minutes to 1 1/2 hours (depends on the quilting- if i am doing heirloom quilting, very involved- white knuckly quilting) i will be stiffer sooner-need more frequent breaks- if i am doing an easy all over loopy doopy design i can go an hour or two with out *hurting myself* too much.
    i've had my long-arm for 7 years now- over time my shoulders have strengthened some- i can quilt longer now without adverse effect than i could 5 years ago.

but try them out! don't invest only to find you hate the process! i have a friend who found after the fact she simply hates the process and would rather pay someone else to quilt her quilts- her machine collected dust almost 4 years before she finally sold it- after only quilting 2 1/2 quilts on it....she (thought) she needed one- bought the first one she found and could afford- and spent 5 years frustrated and upset with the purchase....