• Main
  • Lancaster, PA >
  • Lancaster, PA

• Lancaster, PA

Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    I want to go to Obie's.
    You come east and I'll take you, but I'll stand outside and wait for you.
    I have been going to Lancaster for years but never heard of Obie's....where is it?? I will be down there in March 2012 for the AQS Show, I can't wait but really need to save save save!
    Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
    Originally Posted by echobluff
    YOU'RE MAKING ME HOMESICK!!! They were my old stompin' grounds for many moons! Glad you had a great time! Hopefully you indulged in some Pennsylvania Dutch eats!!! They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)
    Have you planned your next trip yet??? LOL
    Have a great weekend!
    Sue
    Shoo-fly Pie, I don't think there is anywhere in the world accept Lancaster Country that has it. I tried to make it once and it was terrible. My family "Pedigree" go back to the 1700's in Lancaster County. Wish I was there!!!!!!
    Lancaster Co is my favorite place on Earth!! I just love everything about it...the simplicity and peacefulness and of course all that FABRIC!!
    Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Sue
    YOU'RE MAKING ME HOMESICK!!! They were my old stompin' grounds for many moons! Glad you had a great time! Hopefully you indulged in some Pennsylvania Dutch eats!!! They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)
    Have a great weekend!
    Sue
    Shoo-fly Pie, I don't think there is anywhere in the world accept Lancaster Country that has it. I tried to make it once and it was terrible. My family "Pedigree" go back to the 1700's in Lancaster County. Wish I was there!!!!!!
    Lancaster Co is my favorite place on Earth!! I just love everything about it...the simplicity and peacefulness and of course all that FABRIC!!
    Aunt Sue, my sister lives in upstate NY. Mom lives in PA. I live in the dust bowl, armpit of NM. Wish I was anywhere East of Ohio.
    Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 PM

I haven't been but it sounded like a lot of fun. :):):)
    Old 05-14-2011, 08:05 PM

The address for Obie's is: 1585 Main St., Goodville, Pa. 17528. If you are in a store near there, ask for the FREE MAP of Amish Farmlands. It is yellow and when you open it, a lot of the places are marked. Shady Maple is the place to eat - around $9 all you can eat. And you can always take a red marker and highlight the places you like. Goods is remodeling (next to Shady Maple) but I just got Bonnie Blue and other brand name fabric for $2.49 yd. in flat folds. Also Zooks had some of the same fabric for $2.59. Zooks usually have a truck load sale when the big quilt shows are in Lancaster. BTW, the yellow map has the hotels on too.
    Old 05-14-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by zoey
    Have a great weekend!
    Sue
    Making me homesick too as I am from Lancaster. No one here eats scrapple or talks about it without making a face or red beet eggs either for that matter.
    Thanks for the name 'scrapple'. I wanted to order gingerbread but ordered scrapple by mistake. What a shock when I took a bite!
    Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM

Happy for you!
    Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Sue
    Have a great weekend!
    Sue
    Aunt Sue, my sister lives in upstate NY. Mom lives in PA. I live in the dust bowl, armpit of NM. Wish I was anywhere East of Ohio.
    I'm in Perth, NY about 30 miles west of Albany...where is your sister? So sorry to hear you do not like the area you live....
    Old 05-14-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter54
    Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)Sue
    Sue, I smiled when I read this, because I have the same problem. No body in Texas knows what Maypo is and I have fond memories of eating it and watching the commercials.
    CoCo Wheats where I am in Florida.
    I know shoo-fly pie AND I know Maypo!
    Used to live near Amish country in Ohio - back in Montana now for 27+ years - hubby liked the west, though he was raised in Ohio. I was raised in Montana.
    I wasn't a quilter when in Ohio - would now love to visit those shops mentioned in this thread - even Obie's just to see it!
    Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo
    Originally Posted by zoey
    Have a great weekend!
    Sue
    Making me homesick too as I am from Lancaster. No one here eats scrapple or talks about it without making a face or red beet eggs either for that matter.
    Thanks for the name 'scrapple'. I wanted to order gingerbread but ordered scrapple by mistake. What a shock when I took a bite!
    OK - more to add, I make pickled red beets, & we always add hard boiled eggs to the juice left - MIL, from Ohio taught me that. FIL loved scrapple - tried it once - enough! Shoo-fly pie is a favorite with my family, also learned how to make it when 1st married in Ohio.