Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LAQ question >
  • LAQ question

• LAQ question

Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
    Holice is correct, the pattern would have to be digitized, and there are so many designers out there that do that.

With the Statler I put the pattern in the PC and it comes up and I just put it where I need it to be. Sizing to the block.

Enjoy the process!
    It would be easy to digitize, trace on vellum and sew through or for the more artistic longarmer--freestyle. You're just wanting the Chevy bowtie all over the quilt which is easy peasy and they might only charge for an edge to edge instead of custom. The silver thread might be an issue though if you want a metallic. My regular piecing machine doesn't like metallics so I haven't even tried them in the quilting machine. I think a nice King Tut silvery gray should work fine for most longarms.
    Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I don't plan to limit myself to one idea. I know how I want the quilt to look when its done I just need to find the best way to get it there! Thank you all for being so helpful! I am not sure what I am going to do yet..
    Old 05-02-2011, 05:51 AM

Did you find someone to digitize the Chevy Bowtie? If so, I'm looking to put it into my Gammill for a client. I may have to try it myself, although I am fairly new at making my own. Thread painting? Too scary for this newby. Thanks.
    Old 05-02-2011, 05:56 AM
    Power Poster

a binding is the fabric folded around the outer edge of the quilt (finishing off the outside edge around the quilt) not quite sure what you are talking about the center of your 4 patch blocks- and logo- all that makes sense- but what it has to do with your binding??? not sure what you are asking ... are you wanting to add some sort of a border in these blocks??? sorry i am quite confused about your questions...
    Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
    Nope.. I want to bind the top and the bottom with the chevy bowtie in silver thread. It looks like I am going to be doing it by hand!

this pic is the general idea. except the colors are different and my squares are smaller.. About 4 in. In the middle of each 4 square I want the chevy bowtie in silver to work as the binding. I was hoping a long arm would save my fingers the trouble of doing it by hand!
    Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 AM

I'm thinking - correct me if I'm wrong - you want the Chevy insignia as the quilting in the blocks. Yes, this would be fairly easy to do. If I'm thinking right, the insignia is mostly straight lines. Right? Do you have a picture or a link to a picture?
    Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 AM

So you want the Chevy bowtie to be the quilting design inside of the blocks. Binding, as ckcowl explained, is the fabric you use all around the final edge to hide and contain the batting and final edges of the quilt.

Yes, almost any longarmer should be able to find or create a Chevy bowtie to quilt inside your blocks. The possible problems I foresee are this would be considered a "custom" design is will cost you more. Also, it will be a stop & start in each block which will also cost more unless they can figure out how to wiggle or stitch the way unseen or at least without detracting from the bowties in each block. Lastly, the silver thread. If a metallic is used--many won't even use metallics--it will cost more but if a nice silvery gray cotton is used instead, it won't cost much more if any than standard cotton quilting thread. There are many lustrous cotton threads out now that will behave much better than a metallic.

How large is this quilt? I would definitely PM Charismah or any of the popular longarmers on this board & get their professional opinion. I only quilt for myself at this point.