Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Large cone or small spools >
  • Large cone or small spools

• Large cone or small spools

Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 AM

I use the Aurifil Cotton 50 wt cones in a neutral color. It is a little expensive for each purchase but in the long run I'm saving money in not buying the regular spools. Do your calculations and see which is cost effective for you. My machine came with the cone holders.
    Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 AM
    Power Poster

I use both cones and smaller spools. Depends on what colors I'm needing. For scrappies, I use any color threads for piecing, and try to use up smaller amounts on spools and bobbins.
    I watch for sales on threads, and buy a few at a decent price. I use various brands, and shop around.
    Old 04-10-2015, 11:55 AM

When I can, I try to use thread already have, trying to use up the large number of spools I have acquired over the years. If I have to buy, I buy the large cones in a light gray or beige. It's the cheapest way to go.
    Old 04-10-2015, 01:12 PM

My go to thread for piecing is Masterpiece...I think the color is graphite. I use a stand alone cone holder at home. When I go to class, I use a large coffee mug, clothespin a wooden ruler, put the thread in the coffee cup, thread the thread thru the top hole of the ruler and then into the machine. I have also seen a picture on Pinterest of a safety pin on the spool pin. You can then thread the thread thru the pin ...voila! Instant cone threader...
    Old 04-11-2015, 02:28 AM

I now buy the larger cones in neutral colors that I use most often. I just learned from an instructor at MQX that you can put florist netting over your large spool and the thread will come off the spool more smoothly. When I was shopping the Superior Thread booth, they had a dozen of the nets in a bag for $3 something.
    Old 04-11-2015, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Serging thread is made to be used with three or more threads together making it strong. It will not hold up for piecing. Many call any thread on a cone serger thread because that was the common way for thread to be sold for sergers. You can buy great 50wt and 60wt thread on a large cone from Superior Threads. Most all quality thread is sold on a cone as well as a spool.
    Superior threads and their titanium top stitch needles will solve 99% of all sewing machine problems!
    Old 04-11-2015, 02:54 AM

For those of you who like the aurifil, massdrop has a deal going on right now. 2 big cones for $70, no shipping
    Old 04-11-2015, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie
    My usual piecing and quilting thread is Superior So Fine! #50, on the cones. The cone is a bit expensive but turns out to be a LOT cheaper than the spool, per yard. I do have a variety of spools, for when I want a smaller amount of a specific color.
    I also use Superior Thread's So Fine #50 and love it. The large cones are a bit pricey, but if you go to their Try Me specials you can get a smaller cone of a little over 3,000 yards for under $6.00. Last week they were on sale for under $5.00! They only come in three colors: white (their #401), cream (#402) and putty (#403). I stock up when there is a sale!
    I also like Connecting Thread's Essentials thread - very affordable and nice thread.
    Old 04-11-2015, 04:36 AM

I use Star Cotton thread in large spools, it is 100% cotton, it comes in great colors and I pay $6.99 per spool. I haven't had any problems.
    Old 04-11-2015, 04:40 AM

I really like the 100% poly from Connecting Threads. Big cone for about $6.