Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lead warning on Iron >
  • Lead warning on Iron

• Lead warning on Iron

Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 AM

I agree with Tim about the California warnings. I was nearly scared straight out of the store when I read the printable quilt labels note on the back of nearly every one about them containing some ingredient that California believes causes cancer.

Personally, I love my Rowenta iron and it doesn't have that warning about lead. I do unplug it after use, per the instructions. Sometimes I think the warnings that have to be included on electronics cross the line into absurdity. I just bought a new hairdryer & in addition to telling me not to dry my hair in the bath, it said not to dry it in the shower. My curling wand came with a huge warning that the iron could burn my eyes. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was with this huge red insert with such a serious warning -- turns out some idiot somewhere tried to curl her eyelashes with a curling iron.

My iron did come with a warning not to fill the water chamber with "water" from an air conditioner or dehumidifier. It's tough at times trying to sort through which things are legitimate warnings because there are so many things included to protect companies from lawsuits by people with no common sense.
    Old 07-06-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123
    I agree with Tim about the California warnings. I was nearly scared straight out of the store when I read the printable quilt labels note on the back of nearly every one about them containing some ingredient that California believes causes cancer.

Personally, I love my Rowenta iron and it doesn't have that warning about lead. I do unplug it after use, per the instructions. Sometimes I think the warnings that have to be included on electronics cross the line into absurdity. I just bought a new hairdryer & in addition to telling me not to dry my hair in the bath, it said not to dry it in the shower. My curling wand came with a huge warning that the iron could burn my eyes. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was with this huge red insert with such a serious warning -- turns out some idiot somewhere tried to curl her eyelashes with a curling iron.

My iron did come with a warning not to fill the water chamber with "water" from an air conditioner or dehumidifier. It's tough at times trying to sort through which things are legitimate warnings because there are so many things included to protect companies from lawsuits by people with no common sense.
    All of which can add up to not bothering to read the ten pages of warnings and missing the only one that matters.

My less than $10 iron from WallyWorld doesn't have auto-shutoff. Best iron I've ever bought and it doesn't care what kind of water you use. But I've never tried the water from an air conditioner or dehumidifier or the swamp.

With storms that blow up from nowhere and electricity that goes off without any warning or reason, I unplug the power strip for my Husqvarna, the lights, and the iron when I finish working for the day.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:00 PM

Misty's Mom, it was model D2030. The warning is on the bottom of the box in small print.

And thank you, Tim, for the clarification. Still, I'm not going to keep it as the handle stays very warm even when it's turned off.

I think it's a good suggestion to use an electric strip.
    Old 07-07-2015, 04:23 AM

I unplug everything when I am through using the appliance. A friend fried her computer because she left it plugged in during a vicious storm. Lesson learned.
    Old 07-07-2015, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness
    Misty's Mom, it was model D2030. The warning is on the bottom of the box in small print.

And thank you, Tim, for the clarification. Still, I'm not going to keep it as the handle stays very warm even when it's turned off.

I think it's a good suggestion to use an electric strip.
    i have that same model and I've had it on for 4 hours this morning and the handle is still very cool. Maybe you got a lemon. I did see the lead warning on the box, but I won't be licking or chewing on the cord. And I wash my hands frequently anyway.
    Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    NEVER heard that before. I keep iron plugged into a surge strip that has a light attached so I always know then it is on. Easy to just flip the serge protector off and both light and iron are securely turned off.
    I have the same set up. I just turn off the plug strip protector.
    Old 07-07-2015, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness
    Was happy with my Black & Decker, so got another. This new one has a light to tell you it's plugged in, even though it's off, and the handle is hot after several hours of being off.
    That handle is always warm when it is plugged in. It is using electricity to keep the little red light burning. My husband has always had a problem with the light being on when I wasn't using it. I have a power strip that I flip off when I leave the sewing room. All my machines and lights are on that strip. I have another on the iron and light in the laundry room. If the light is on, the iron is on. Easy to see they they are on when they need to be turned off.
    Old 07-07-2015, 05:40 AM

After plugging or unplugging the cord, do not lick your hands????
    Old 07-07-2015, 06:05 AM

my timed shut off iron (Shark) if left plugged in is always warm. The point being that quick reheat. So it is like anything electrical that is quick start, tv's come to mind, they are drawing power and running up the electric bill.

My iron doing that irritated me enough that I put it and the overhead light on a power strip like the members above, and shut the whole thing off when I'm finished for the day.

I'm surprised something with exposed lead can be sold in the US.
    I mean it would have to be exposed to require hand washing wouldn't it?
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    "noticed a warning: The power cord on his product contains lead. Wash hands after handling. " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ​Seriously??????????? You'd think they wouldn't allow those to be sold in the US!!!!!!
    I agree! So many products have this kind of warning that you can be hesitant to use them. Especially medicines. The warnings could scare you death.