Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Learning hand quilting - Arrrgghh! The hoop! >
  • Learning hand quilting - Arrrgghh! The hoop!

• Learning hand quilting - Arrrgghh! The hoop!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 AM
    Gal

I am new to hand quilting and only get 6 to 8 stitches per inch, I try for even stitches rather than many. I baste very well as I am a beginner and it helps to keep everything in place for the duration of quilting. I found my hoop very awkward and clumsy at first but by the time I got to the end of my quilt I had gotten used to it. I do not have it tight in the hoop but like to press my hand down in the center a bit.I have not got the rocking thing going all that well as yet but I am working on it!! I am pleased with my efforts an know I shall get better with practice! Hang in there it will get easier!!

Gal
    Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 AM

The hoop is optional, but if you are REALLY concerned about your stitches just starting out, try using Tigar Tape. You can use the 9 stitches per inch to practice and adjust if you need to. The only way I could get butter is to practice and the tape really helped me.
    Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 AM
    Power Poster

tiger tape is a great help with getting your stitches even and then of course lots of practice. i sometimes use a hoop other times not, it really depends on the project. small projects seem easier to me to do without a hoop but the larger ones it is easier, but that's just me. i tend to do alot more 'stab-stitching' than the rocking stitch...i know, i need to practice more...im too impatient! when someone told me if you quilt for 1 hour every day you can have a queen quilt done in about a year I about dropped on the floor...a year??? are you kidding me? i went home, loaded the quilt up on the long-arm frame and had it done in about 8 hours...
    that was years ago, since then i have learned, I am not that slow...although i have not spent the time to hand quilt a queen size quilt the small ones i have done have gone well and not taken what i consider a huge amount of time. so, i do keep practicing, on doll quilts, table toppers, placemats, and picnic quilts. each one getting a little better than the one before. when it comes to big quilts i am usually behind schedule for getting them done so do not have time to hand quilt them.

I am starting a very special project though, which i believe is going to take me a year or two to do...i am hand appliquing it and have been considering quilting each block individually as i get it appliqued, just sandwich it, quilt it and move on to the next block. my thought process is i will do much better and more quilting doing it one block at a time....i have to catch up on some seriously deliquent projects before i can really dive into this, but i think if i get prep work done it can be my hand work project to get me through the winter ;)
    Old 07-20-2010, 04:57 AM

I've never used a hoop. The most important thing is to baste heavily so there's no shifting. (I don't use spray baste when handquilting; I use pins and basting thread). I do make sure my project is well-supported when I'm working on it. If it's small, I use a laptop table and if it's large I use my ironing board lowered to lap height. I sit in a chair with arms so that also supports the weight of the quilt. I've done a queen-sized quilt in this manner.

The choice is yours-you have to find what's comfortable for you and what works for you. I usually don't do much handquilting of large items in the summer--save those for colder months. Good luck!!
    Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 AM

I am just starting my hand quilting journey too and my advice is to not worry about what everyone else is doing and find your own way. I don't mean, don't ask for others input, just remember that you are not going to be able to do what they are doing, in the beginning especially, and that can make it more frustrating for you. Just keep practicing and also trying different things, and eventually you will find what works best for you...and that is all that matters!
    I personally am using a floor PVC frame, and do not like it! So, I am going to get a hoop to try, and plan to try hoopless also. The quilt I am working on has a full range of stitch lengths on it, and I will show it to anyone that wants to see it, w/no shame as it is my first. I always tell my DD if someone does not like my work then they need to do it for me :)!!! Of course I would like that, hee hee.
    Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 AM

I would check out Susan Schamber's site on pinless hand quilting. I love the method as I do not use a hoop or frame. It is worth looking at.
    Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

I can't use a hoop either (even though Hubby bought me a beautiful Hinterburg). I find lap quilting is more my style but will admit the Amish ladies say my ten stitches to an inch is wonderful.
    Old 07-20-2010, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

I dont use a hoop either!
    Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 AM

I am not using a hoop on the QAYG quilt that I am working on now and I really like it. I am going to use a hoop on my next quilt. I have never heard of Tiger tape before and I think I am going to try it. There are no rules in quilting so do what you like. One of my mottos is: What other people think of me is none of my business". Simply enjoy the creativity and and the end result.
    Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    One of my mottos is: What other people think of me is none of my business". Simply enjoy the creativity and the end result.
    That's great...may have to borrow that sometime!!! LOL.