Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Left overs >
  • Left overs

• Left overs

Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I make potholders or pin cushions out of them. I have a little stash of these for quick gifts, or sometimes just use them to adorn packages.
    I love making "mug rugs". They're any size of fabric I have left as sm. as 4" sq.
    Old 03-27-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by kjym
    I save them for scrappy or sampler blocks. I also use the small pieces of fabric. I cut them into pieces for another quilt. I have a neat pattern that uses 2 1/2" blocks,2 1/2 x 8" strips and 2 1/2 x 9 and then a a smaller strip and a block that I can't think of right now. I have one of those plastic boxes with the dividers so I cut all the pieces and then just put them in the box. When I think I have enough of a pile of pieces I start sewing then together and they have a little of every quilt I have made. They turn out one of a kind and very colorful. kjym Kathy
    Would you upload a photo for us, I would love to see one.
    Old 03-27-2010, 05:41 PM

I think she's talking about the cloth-looking reusable bags that Wal-Mart and many other stores are asking you to use instead of their plastic bags. Sewing blocks on top right up to the seam sounds like it would make them stronger.
    Old 03-27-2010, 05:47 PM

I have a bunch of "orphan" blocks I inherited from my grandmother. I was thinking of making a sampler quilt from them, but some are such loud, unusual fabric, they just don't play well together!! So, finally I decided to find fabrics to go with each one and use the block as a center for a table runner, and use the other fabrics on the ends. Then I'm going to give one to each of my cousins so they will all have something from grandma!
    Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM

:thumbup: I love that costum on your baby. I need one of them for my Pom. Tommye

my pom he weighs 7 pounds
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]33764[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-33764.jpe  
    Old 03-27-2010, 08:17 PM

I plan on using my to make candle mats which can also be used for hot mats. or I make pot holders to give for presents. I need to get started though as I now have a lot of scraps and some boo boos to use up.
    Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 PM

I have used them to make totes.
    Old 03-28-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
    I make potholders or pin cushions out of them. I have a little stash of these for quick gifts, or sometimes just use them to adorn packages.
    I love making "mug rugs". They're any size of fabric I have left as sm. as 4" sq.
    Are "mug rugs" coasters for cups? Just like a 4" quilt? Do you put anything special inside of it other than the batting?
    Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    I have a bunch of "orphan" blocks I inherited from my grandmother. I was thinking of making a sampler quilt from them, but some are such loud, unusual fabric, they just don't play well together!! So, finally I decided to find fabrics to go with each one and use the block as a center for a table runner, and use the other fabrics on the ends. Then I'm going to give one to each of my cousins so they will all have something from grandma!
    Making them into table runners will be a wonderful reminder of your grandmother for all your family.

FYI, some of the quilter's in my guild have sewn orphan blocks together and because the fabric colors were brights, loud, very mixed, they overdyed them with Rit dye in the washer after it was put together. On one they used an Apricot color, another they used a Denim color. They were stunning!!!
    Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
    Originally Posted by Pat G
    Are "mug rugs" coasters for cups? Just like a 4" quilt? Do you put anything special inside of it other than the batting?
    I responded to this a bit ago & included pix but I don't know where it all went. Just want you to know that, yes, they are actually coasters. Something cute to set your cup of coffee on. If I have it, I use Insulbrite for the center batting since it resists heat.