Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • left vs right >
  • left vs right

• left vs right

Old 01-12-2011, 08:04 PM

this is probably a silly question but do left handers cut fabric with left or right hand? are there compensations to be made for left handers in sewing? My sis is left handed and I know she does some stuff dif - or at least looks awkward to a right hander - just wondered as so much stuff is designed for right handers.
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 PM

I use left handed scissors, unless I have the universal ones like my lightweight Ginghers. I cut with the rotary cutter and hand sew with my left hand, but I have no other accommodations. We lefties are a versatile lot.
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I am ambidextrous ~ So I can rotary cut with either hand (helpful because I don't have the rotating cutting mat, I feel like they are unstable). I never thought about it, does she sew with lining the fabric up to the R or L of the needle? Hand sewing she would be fine, just going backward to stitch from what a righty would do :)
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM

I agree. We have had to adapt to a right handed world but it is really wonderful that there are left handed rotary cutters and the spring action scissors are the bomb!
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM

I have a hard time with rotary cutting. Seems like the ruler is always on the wrong side. Sometimes I cut with my right hand just to see if it's easier. Although my biggest problem with rotary cutting is that my ruler always seems to slide and so I don't get a straight cut.
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I am a lefty but I use both right and left equally. Where I grew up the teachers didn't believe that it was right for a child to use the left hand so I was forced to do things with my right hand. Until my Mom found out but by then it was too late.
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I am a lefty but I use both right and left equally. Where I grew up the teachers didn't believe that it was right for a child to use the left hand so I was forced to do things with my right hand. Until my Mom found out but by then it was too late.
    Ugh, my 2nd grade teacher did that to me ... boy was my mom angry! But it makes me more versatile now. I bowl, shoot pool, rotary-cut, and eat left handed. Draw half-n-half right/left. Write right-handed.
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 PM
    Power Poster

I can cut with either hand. I like the yellow Olfa cutters. I do most other things with either hand, but do write with my left.
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Ugh, my 2nd grade teacher did that to me ... boy was my mom angry! But it makes me more versatile now. I bowl, shoot pool, rotary-cut, and eat left handed. Draw half-n-half right/left. Write right-handed.
    I only write with my left hand unless it is on a chalk board.
    Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Lefty here. I use the rotary cutter in the left hand. Do most everything except play golf left handed.
    I only play golf righty because I learned with right handed clubs and never tried to change.