Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Leftover Batting >
  • Leftover Batting

• Leftover Batting

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Our Church was in charge of Youth Camp Crafts - there is a woman who works with me that quilts (before I got into quilting). She donated some of her scraps of material and batting to our Youth Camp. Helped with the cost. Maybe you can do the same where your located.
    Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by grandma sue

I looked at some of that basting tape. It looks like it is just the fusible tricot interfacing cut in wide strips. I used that for interfacing when I used to make most of my clothes. I'm going to try it to see if it works.
    I checked the price of the fusible tricot (not easy to find in stores these days) in yardage and it works out to be about the same cost as what is in a pre cut roll of the batting tape. I had some tricot from my dressmaking days and there is a little difference.
    Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

You could donate your scraps to a Nursing Home for the seniors to use in crafts or sewing small projects.

You can use the scraps for stuffing also in pillows or any project that takes stuffing.
    Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
    Originally Posted by gollytwo
    there's also a new ironon tape on the market - about 2-3" wide made to join pieces of batt.

I looked at some of that basting tape. It looks like it is just the fusible tricot interfacing cut in wide strips. I used that for interfacing when I used to make most of my clothes. I'm going to try it to see if it works. Other than that, I just wide zig-zag my pieces together. Onces it's quilted you can't even tell.
    ironing on batting tap would be a pain and waste of time for me zig zag works fast and great, have no problem with it going through my sewing machine.
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
    Since several people have already mentioned the batting fusible tape (one weblink source is http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...ssBatting.html), I'll pass this other idea on.

I have a friend who decorates her sewing room cupboard doors, bedroom doors, and smaller spots in the house with single-block quilts, 9x12 quick applique quilts, and 9x12 (or so) small block quilts - using the leftover batting from her larger quilts.

She has 16 cupboard doors alone in her sewing room, so it's a real sparkling feature to the room and throughout the house. She also sells these small quilts at fundraisers and auctions for her guild - they're smaller, less complicated and more affordable. A simple 9x12 or 12x12 quilt made from 2 1/2" or 3" square blocks is very appealing to just about anyone who loves quilts. Not to mention it being a profitable way to use up scraps of fabric and batting.

I myself make small quilts from the leftover batting and scraps (24"x24" and smaller) from larger projects, and I really love them. It's almost like surrounding myself with a quilt journal as I recall what I've made. I am also not a big fan of making pillows, shams, runners or placemats with my leftovers - there's just so many I need, y'know?!?
    I use the extra blocks on end or coffee tables to set things on, adds a great color plus protects the surfaces. also make mug rugs to give as little gifts with cups or what ever I choose. this uses up a lot of fabric and batting scrapes.
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
    Since several people have already mentioned the batting fusible tape (one weblink source is http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...ssBatting.html), I'll pass this other idea on.

I have a friend who decorates her sewing room cupboard doors, bedroom doors, and smaller spots in the house with single-block quilts, 9x12 quick applique quilts, and 9x12 (or so) small block quilts - using the leftover batting from her larger quilts.

She has 16 cupboard doors alone in her sewing room, so it's a real sparkling feature to the room and throughout the house. She also sells these small quilts at fundraisers and auctions for her guild - they're smaller, less complicated and more affordable. A simple 9x12 or 12x12 quilt made from 2 1/2" or 3" square blocks is very appealing to just about anyone who loves quilts. Not to mention it being a profitable way to use up scraps of fabric and batting.

I myself make small quilts from the leftover batting and scraps (24"x24" and smaller) from larger projects, and I really love them. It's almost like surrounding myself with a quilt journal as I recall what I've made. I am also not a big fan of making pillows, shams, runners or placemats with my leftovers - there's just so many I need, y'know?!?
    I use the extra blocks on end or coffee tables to set things on, adds a great color plus protects the surfaces. also make mug rugs to give as little gifts with cups or what ever I choose. this uses up a lot of fabric and batting scrapes.
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    I read an article the other day with leftover batting to sew them together with a S seam so you can have another big piece of batting

here is the link to the article if you want to read it

http://www.quilting-tidbits.com/quilt-batting.html
    Thank you so much for this URL. I found lots of helpful information. :thumbup:
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i recently bought a roll of the fusible tape sold for patching scraps of batting together. the "fabric" side is a very lightweight polyester knit (similar to slip fabric).

it does work very well. unfortunately, it's also very expensive.

i haven't tested my theory yet, but i believe that i could buy a very light-weight, 1-sided fusible interfacing and cut it into strips to do the same thing.
    I think this is true, too. However, at this time I do a wide zigzag like most others here have said. It works well, and it saves $$$, which is the most important thing!! :-)
    Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM

I just bought some tape that is supposed to work well when you butt the edges of the batting together to make one bigger piece. The saleswoman said she used it and it works well.
    Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 AM

I save them up and use my left over batting pieces for Quilt as you Go patterns and when I want to trapunto things.
    All just depends on the size of the left overs.