Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the >
  • Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the

• Let me ask. Does anyone know what it means when the lady at the shop said the gears need to be packed ? She wanted to have me leave one of my machines to service it but I didn't have the $ at the time. She said it needed to be cleaned, oiled and the

Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 PM

di
    Originally Posted by Peckish
    Prayers and good thoughts going out for Billy...
    Ditto for Billy
    Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM

Thank you all for your help. :)
    Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 AM

I use White Lithium grease on the metal gears of my FW. Just a little bit and then spread it on the gears with my fingers. I know you said yours is a Kenmore, but I would think you could use the same type of grease on it that is used on the FW, without harm. You might google Desk Dave's at the Featherweight and I site and get a number and call him to inquire, since Billy is under the weather at this time.
    Prayers and Blessings to you and family Billy!!!
    Old 10-25-2011, 03:21 AM

Not sure if this is the same thing, but on my featherweight there is a place to put grease in the motor. Most of the newer machines have everything encased so there is not need to grease them, but if my featherweight gets to making too much noise I give it a good oiling and put grease in the grease zerts and it quiets down. Mabe that is what she was talking about.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but on my featherweight there is a place to put grease in the motor. Most of the newer machines have everything encased so there is not need to grease them, but if my featherweight gets to making too much noise I give it a good oiling and put grease in the grease zerts and it quiets down. Mabe that is what she was talking about.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 AM

don't know why this posted 3X sorry
    Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 AM

Maybe some new ballbearings?
    Old 10-25-2011, 03:53 AM

Just an FYI. I went to a sewing machine shop looking for grease because our Walmart did not have any. The repairman told me he didn't have any but to use Vaseline - that is what he has used for years.
    Originally Posted by Peckish
    I would use white lithium grease.
    Old 10-25-2011, 04:04 AM

My interpretation of packing the gears is that if they are worn out through excess use, another coating of metal is put over them to either harden them or reshape the worn out cogs.