Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality >
  • Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

• Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Old 12-09-2011, 04:12 PM

Well said. I agree with you. I travel all over the country and buy what pleases me, whether in a chain store or a quilt shop.
    Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 PM

I agree with you Holice. I don't have the money to be a "fabric snob". I truly love going to my LQS to purchase fabric when I have a little extra money, but I love to sew even more. I have bought fabric from LQS's, Walmart, fabric chain stores, thrift shops, and yard sales. I always have my Grandmother in mind. She was VERY poor. Her quilts were made from old clothing that she cut up and used templates to make her blocks on an old treadle machine. She was 96 when she died over 20 yrs ago. Her quilts are still being used and loved by her family. I don't make quilts for showing or judging. I make quilts because I love the people I give them to, and I want them to be used. I'd hate to think that a quilt of mine would be unappreciated because it wasn't made of expensive designer fabric. Nowdays, especially, I think most of us are struggling more just to get by. Maybe this isn't such a bad thing. Maybe we need to adjust our sights on things that are really important. I, for one, will continue to make my quilts with what I have and can afford.
    Old 12-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Very well said! Thank you so much for your post!
    Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Hurray and thanks Holice! For more than 60 years I have been looking at fabric any place I find it. If it suits the purpose and passes my inspection, I buy it no matter the name on the store. I detest the constant bashing. My second post on this subject today, enough already!
    Old 12-09-2011, 05:42 PM

It is absolutely a matter of choice and I know this topic will come up again. Some may prefer a certain line or lines and this is fine too. No matter what though we all are doing the same basic job with our fabrics. We are fortunate to have choices in this country as we may be limited by distance or what is in our purse. We all can all respect one another for what we do.
    Old 12-09-2011, 05:45 PM

"I always have my Grandmother in mind. She was VERY poor. Her quilts were made from old clothing that she cut up and used templates to make her blocks on an old treadle machine." (Val in IN)

I, too, was thinking of my Grandmother making her quilts from old clothing and not necessarily all cotton. I am so grateful that I still have one of those quilts.
    Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks for this positive thread. When I take a class at a lqs I buy my fabric there - but don't like them to say that fabric at change stores will never make a pretty quilt. Discouraging for those on limited budgets like most of us.
    Old 12-09-2011, 08:40 PM

The best fabric to buy is the fabric you both like and can afford.
    Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 AM

I buy a lot of my fabric at my LQS because in general most of the fabric is better quality. But I have found some poorer quality at the LQS too.I also get some of my fabric at WalMart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns etc. Check the quality first. SOme is good some isn't. Also it depends on what I am using it for. I don't worry as much about quality on a table runner or a pillow case as much as i do on a quilt. Buy what you like or can afford. Always check the quality.
    Old 12-10-2011, 04:59 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts...I feel the same. I buy what I like and what I want to spend my $ on. Of course I don't buy the paper thin fabric but if it has a nice feel and it works in the quilt I buy it even if it's in a chain store. I feel that high quality fabric is wonderful but think at times it's a waste of money. When I make a quilt for someone I think about them enjoying it now and not having to worry about are they going to love it 50 yrs later. Most likely not, it'll get put away because the fabric has been dated...so I don't worry about my quilts lasting forever. I'll just make them something new and buy more fabric!