Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Let's encourage each other! >
  • Let's encourage each other!

• Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM

You get accustomed to your own machines, and then you think yours is the best. It's fun and a hobby so don't take everyone so serious
    Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM

I guess I've been lucky. I've received only positive comments on this site. We are many things in life and here those talented people who want to sew and create a quilt are artists! Whether you do it on a an old or new machine. We all try to get better at our craft AND have fun doing it! Not only do I want to get better but I also hope to pass on an interest in quilting to others. Cheers o all.
    Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 PM

I usually just tell people I don't want to spend that much on a machine because I can sew crooked on a cheap machine or an expensive one, or a vintage one or a new one. Honestly, for the odd shirt I make, and little bit of quilting I seem to find time to do, my vintage machines are more than enough for me. In fact, some of the vintage machines do better at some things than the new ones. Buttonholes and FMQ for newbies are two that I've seen people mention more than once.

I have a vintage Bernina on my bench at the moment, and I wouldn't buy one after what I've seen under the hood. To be honest, there isn't a brand that's been on my bench that hasn't disappointed me in some way under the hood. Just like with a camera, I tell people to buy the one that fits their hand and that they bond with, brand doesn't matter.

I went to my first guild meeting last week, and I met a woman who can't get her brand new TOL Pfaff to do a nice satin stitch. I've heard people who love Pfaff, those who hate them, same with Bernina. I just told her it was a shame, and had she talked to her dealer.

As an aside, I went to this guild vs the other one, because I've heard about how "clicky" (I totally spelled that wrong) the other one is and -then- I ran into a lady from the other guild at an estate sale (fabric and quilt items only that was not advertised to the public as best I could tell, only guild and friends of guild people) who looked at me (possibly assumed because she didn't recognise me, or I was too young or something that I knew nothing) and proceeded to tell me what Fat quarters were. You can bet I had some snarky comments I almost let out at that. I guess what I'm saying is, if you don't like one guild, there's often another one in town, or in a town near you. I have my choice of about 5 within about 45 minutes of me - that I know about.

It's the same as the dodge chevy ford "wars", and the Apple vs PC, Nikon vs Canon and everything else. There will always be people who think they've got the only answer and will try to impose their ideas on other people. I just smile and nod usually. Then find someone else to talk with.
    Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaS
    thank you for this topic. I too fell pry to the negative quilters comments. I have quilt for a year and used the word "cheat" for a question I had asked. Wow that was a horrible experience. So much so that I am VERY hesitant to post another question for help again. I will go to another board. It has ruined my experience with this board which I had used daily for tips etc. Its very sad. We have all had questions when we start and to take a question and twist it to a negative was a awful experience for me.
    I am sorry that you got treated that way on this board. It seems to me that everyone that I have asked questions of have been very nice and supportive. I would never try to be mean and say something like that to anyone, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not everyone sees the same picture. You can show 10 people the same picture and each 1 will see something different. We would be in big trouble if everyone liked the same things, did the same things--how boring would that be. The quilt police should keep the lip zipped if they can't find something nice to say, my ma always said don't say anything at all. I tell my kids that too, also my grandkids.
    Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=carolynjo;6010939]Teresa, as a 38-year teacher in all grades of school and college, I used to tell my student that there is no such thing as a "stupid question". I treated all questions with the same equality unless I had just answered that question and someone else immediately asked the same question. If someone on this board hammered you, just let it roll off your back. It is not worth leaving such a valuable source of information because some was not nice. Most folks here are so very understanding and helpful. Don't leave us--just move on. Also, develop a friendship with some of us and pm us if you are reluctant to ask the question to the board at large. Patrice, for example, has been most helpful with my tech questions.[QUOTE]
    Thank you so much..I am sure I will take you up on the offer of help. I have heard a positive comments from this and I am going to just let it go now, I don't want to lose this great resource. The good by far out weight the bad. Thank you so much to everyone who has been so nice.
    Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 PM

Good job TeresaS. ignore them and you can always pm me too if you have a question you don't want to go public with. I know if I don't know the answer that someone on this board will. The only dumb questions are those that "SMART" people answer. A lot of people on this board only read some of the comments made by others, a lot of people on this board read every comment, because they want to learn something. I know that I have learned a lot just from reading comments on this board. And I am not computer illiterate, but not completely tech savvy either. My oldest grandson at age at age 1 1/2 was programming their fancy tv. They couldn't figure out what was going on because stuff was changed and they hadn't done it, til she caught him one day. She made him put it all back the way it was supposed to be. that is one smart kid in 6th grade now and I helped him sew a quilt for himself early last spring with my little FW. He just loves it.
    Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 PM
    Jim

Not everyone wants a Bernina. My wife has one, I don't and I don't want one. Sorry to the Berina lovers of the world but I don't like Berninas. I do have 2 nice Brothers that I love. That being said we all have different taste and different priorities. Shame on that fellow quild member for being so shallow. Award winning quilts can be made on any machine you choose, be it a bargain machine, antique machine, hand-me-down machine or the best machine that your money can buy. Enjoy your talents
    Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 AM

This is just my opinion.... I believe that ALL your top of the line companies have to have similar features in order to stay competitive. If company A is doing something new and different, it would not be long before Company B is doing it also. If you love your machine that is all that matters.

I went to a local Bernina sponsered event. I knew it was Bernina before I walked in. I don't have a Bernina and even asked the event planners if I should bother showing up. I was assured it would still be worth my while. One of the speakers asked who owned a Bernina. Of course, many, many hands went up (Bernina Sponsored Event). Then the speaker asked for a raise of hands for those of us in the audience who owned something other than a Bernina. A lot of hands still went up. Some woman sitting behind me said out loud "I'm Sorry!". All I could think was how rude and inappropriate.

Snobs, they are every where. Ignoring them is the best course of action.

Gail

Last edited by QuiltFaerie; 04-19-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaS
    thank you for this topic. I too fell pry to the negative quilters comments. I have quilt for a year and used the word "cheat" for a question I had asked. Wow that was a horrible experience. So much so that I am VERY hesitant to post another question for help again. I will go to another board. It has ruined my experience with this board which I had used daily for tips etc. Its very sad. We have all had questions when we start and to take a question and twist it to a negative was a awful experience for me.
    Please keep posting there is so many wonderful helpfull people on this board that are willing to help. Please don't let one unhappy selfish person drive you away. Just pray for that person.
    Old 04-19-2013, 04:09 AM

We all should remember that some of the most beautiful heirlooms were made by hand, fabric that saved from previous garments, needles that used for many purposes, scissors that were treasured but may have been dulled due to use from just fabric.