Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Let's encourage each other! >
  • Let's encourage each other!

• Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 AM

TeresaS, please don't let that experience discourage you or keep you away from this board. There are so many wonderful, caring people on here and truly want to help others. Some can't feel good about themselves unless they can put others down. Stick around and learn from those who really do care!

Originally Posted by TeresaS
    thank you for this topic. I too fell pry to the negative quilters comments. I have quilt for a year and used the word "cheat" for a question I had asked. Wow that was a horrible experience. So much so that I am VERY hesitant to post another question for help again. I will go to another board. It has ruined my experience with this board which I had used daily for tips etc. Its very sad. We have all had questions when we start and to take a question and twist it to a negative was a awful experience for me.
    Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM

My second post to this thread: I remember a woman showing her quilt at a guild meeting and telling all the new members "if you want a quilt like mine, you must buy your material at **** quilt store". She neglected to tell them she worked at that store. I always wonder why women act the way they do toward other women??? Even here on the board, I see remarks that are uncalled for.
    Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM

I have a Bernina and I do have the habit of saying how great it is. I also have a 1940 Featherweight that I tell everyone that will listen that this is my favorite machine. I also have an old Kenmore that I use and am not afraid to say that it makes a good 1/4 inch seam. I think when we talk about our machines/tools it is just part of being a quilter. I also know that not everyone likes or wants a Bernina so use and talk about what works best for you. We need to let those "negative" comments roll off our back and QUILT.
    Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM

She may have only been trying to be funny, but you're quite right. There is a great deal of emphasis on having the most up-to-date tools, best machine, etc. etc. I started quilting many years ago with little besides a needle, thread, a thimble and a picture in a magazine. That, plus the encouragement of my Mom, who didn't know much more about it than I did. She's still quilting, at 90, and still relies on hand stitching for her quilts. Her templates are cut from cardboard or the sides of plastic bottles (as were mine for many years). The quilts produced may lack something in precision but one of the most satisfying things about quilting is that it can be done at all skill levels, with a minimum of tools, and produce lovely results. For the most part, people who come to the quilting board are encouraging and positive but your reminder is well taken. Thanks for speaking out.
    Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM

hang on to the featherweight whatever u decide to buy as a 2nd machine. I hear they are the way to go.
    Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltFaerie
    Alma,

You shouldn't and don't need to apologize for whatever machine you choose to sew on. I have friends that have Berninas and love them. Hey, they are lovely machines.
    People should sew with what works best for them. It isn't a machine that makes for a snob, it is an attitude.
    Gail
    Thanks for the kind words, Gail. I didn't mean to post twice. That has never happened before. Must be my $199 computer. LOL
    Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM

I totally agree. I've been a "poor" quilter for the last 13 years. I've never had a lot of money to buy all the fancy doodads that some quilters have. I can't afford to pay someone .2 a square inch to machine quilt them for me, so I hand quilt mine. I make my templates out of little Debbie boxes, or empty shoe boxes. I do my sewing on my Brother SE 400 that my Honey bought me for Christmas last year on sale. I buy my fabric from Joann or Hobby Lobby or Thousands of Bolts. I enjoy making my quilts, enjoy hand quilting and love giving them to my loved ones. But, a quilt made with love is still beautiful no matter if its sewn on a Bernina, a Baby Lock, a Janome or a Brother!
    Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM

I love my bernina, not because it cost more than other but because it helps me quilt with precision. When i started quilting i had a kenmore and old viking i got at yard sale. Yes it made perfect straight piecing. But when i really started free motion quilting and spent hours of frustration due to tension problem that is when i asked dh for a good machine. I can do a king with my bernina but still limited. Yes the long arm would have made it look better but i am content with what i have.
    i believe some machines will limit you on what you want to do. Just don't try putting your focus ford car in a racetrack and expect the same performance of what u would from a corvette.
    Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 PM

I agree Micha I want to just enjoy the process and not worry about any compitition and just help each other become better at what we are doing no matter if its on a hand me down machine or a 5000.00 one. They all get the job done. I go to a sit and sew every Friday and all the women there are such a blessing to each other. The fellowship is why I go Thanks Micha, Gerrie
    Old 04-19-2013, 04:55 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

One of my guild sisters can't afford the annual membership of $5, can't buy any fabric and uses a guild loaned machine. we delight in her creativity. What she does with our scraps is awesome. I encourage people on very limited budgets to buy working yard sale machines. In my guild it is our policy to celebrate everyone who quilts. BYW, I am perfectly willing to badmouth Bernina (mine was a major lemon) and speak well of Viking and Janome, but you don't have to go there to be a quilter.