Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Let's encourage each other! >
  • Let's encourage each other!

• Let's encourage each other!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 PM

I have so enjoyed all the comments and am very grateful for them.
    Thank you everyone!
    Micha
    Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Hi all I'm an owner of a bernina, janome, singer stigma, leather weight, 2treadles ,juki, viking, brother and Uncle Tom Cobbley oh and a needle.
    Which do I think is best. Not going to spent all day but each has its own advantages and disadvantages. The costs vary.i love each for different types of sewing.
    People should not have this idea I have the best for each their own and we all do our best with love. It is also we all make mistakes.
    Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 PM
    amh

Well said. Hat's off to you.

I love it when people say things like that. Helps me know whose opinion not to ask. Sewing machines are a personal preference, and my personal preference is nothing computerized. My favorite is my mother's 50 year old Singer sewing machine that sews like a charm. I do have other sewing machines (a Kenmore, and a Bailey's), but neither are "fancy", and I prefer it that way.
    Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 AM

I agree with you, Gaga. I think it actually takes more skill to make a quilt. or anything on a basic machine.

I saved for a year (and sold several other machines) to buy a new Bernina and it is a huge disappointment. I have to take it back for the second time and I've only had it for 2 months. I don't doubt that the company will make it right eventually....but what a pain it has been so far.

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
    Well said Lisa. Unfortunately there are snobs in every walk of life, even quilters. As long as we enjoy what we are doing and are happy with the results that's all that counts. I would just ignore those remarks and let them roll off my back.
    Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
    Well said Lisa. Unfortunately there are snobs in every walk of life, even quilters. As long as we enjoy what we are doing and are happy with the results that's all that counts. I would just ignore those remarks and let them roll off my back.
    very well said.It is nice if you can afford a great machine but not all can-and not every one wants that brand-many great brands out there.I think it is great that so many people still make quilts and who cares what machine was used anyway
    Old 05-17-2013, 07:36 AM

Well said - How about all the vintage/antique quilts that we all treasure that we made from old clothes and feed sacks, cut with scissors free-hand and sewn by hand.
    Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM

I have 2 stories about machines. The first class I took was at a shop that sold machines, I had a 25 plus year old Kenmore that I loved, it was solid, never broke, and sewed straight and beautiful. The teacher didnt want to even teach me because my tension was off. I moved a switch and it sewed a perfect line. The owner of the shop kept saying terrible things about my machine, she wanted me to buy top of the line Janome machine that was thousands of dollars. I went 2 x to the class and left, feeling inadequate and ashamed. I kept trying to learn, and taught myself through the internet and trial and error . I then joined a church group who made charity quilts. A number of the women had older machines, older then mine even. The leaders of the group had high end berninas and janomes, and were aggravated that the older machines werent making the exact 1/4 inch that their machines were. So, they said the women with older machines could no longer sew for this particular quilt. They went from machine to machine to see whose machine was off. I felt like i was on a witch hunt. Again, I took my trusted machine and went home, and didnt return. It took so much for me to try to get out and join a group, each time didnt work out. But, I still love fabric, love to sew and want to make quilts! Now I do have a new machine, but not a top of the line, and I love it very much, it does everything I need and more!
    Old 06-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Some people just don't know how to keep their mouth shut. she is probably one who no one would ever go to for any advice either. Let's face it some people out there in the world are just plain mean, but everyone on this board is wonderful. You should post a picture of your quilt here so we can all oooh and ahhh over it. Love makes the world go round.
    Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 PM

bee3, don't despair there are lots of us out here with the same feelings you have/had. Come on this board and you will find that we are really nice and willing to help everyone out.
    Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM

Whatever the reason a person picks a particular machine is important to that person, let's rejoice with her when she has victories. If she wanted a Bernina_____, and was able to purchase/acquire one (legally), let's rejoice with her.

I teach classes at a Bernina dealership which stays in business by making a profit. I want to help them by endorsing their product so I teach using a Bernina machine. We give and get mutual support. When students in my class are having problems with their machines, the staff help them. Since they don't know much about other brands they are less helpful with those machines. If the machine won't cooperate, the dealership lets the student use one of the floor models, which is a Bernina.

I've had other brands, but Bernina is my favorite. I also have 2 Brothers and for their specialty, they are the best that I have. I just purchased a used Bernina 830, took it to a retreat the next day, was so excited it showed. I hope I didn't offend anyone, that wasn't my intention, just excited that I was finally able to get it. By the way, the Bernina 830 wouldn't do one of the things I wanted. I have other machines, so I put the project aside and will try on another machine.

As a sidenote, I don't finish everything and sometimes I don't intend to finish. I learned what I wanted, or got to a point that just was no longer satisfying. Why do I quilt? For the ability to create, not necessarily finish. So I want a machine that will do what I ask it, without complaining. And Berninas have a pretty good record......for me.