Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lets talk about kits. >
  • Lets talk about kits.

• Lets talk about kits.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM

I buy kits and BOMs because I like to alter other people's work and I can't always stand upright long enough to cut fabric. I also enjoy all of the leftover fabrics.

I like Stitchin' Heaven, Fat Quarter Shop and Connecting Threads. Some eBay folks are pretty cool, too.

There are some really sharp BOMs out there. Stitchin' Heaven's Ladies of the Sea applique BOM makes me practically giddy. Ain't she sweet? http://store.stitchinheaven.com/stor...&Item_ID=15441
    Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 PM

All of the reasons you listed here is the reason I started my business, Custom Quilt Kits! I could never find a kit that was EXACTLY what I wanted. It was either the wrong size, the wrong colors, or the wrong type of fabric.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only way that felt this way about kits.

Rose Hall
    Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM

I've never bought a kit. I prefer to choose my own fabrics and I almost never make a quilt that I've followed the instructions of the pattern completely so what I get in a kit probably would not satisfy me. I also am a firm believer in washing my fabrics - and I wash them before they ever go back to my sewing room. I put lots of effort into a quilt and it bled when I washed it to get the quilting marks out. I learned my lesson. That's getting off topic, isn't it? LOL There is something good to say about kits - my BFF feels she can't cut worth a flip so she's happy to get a kit that's all cut out for her.
    Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    I buy kits and BOMs because I like to alter other people's work and I can't always stand upright long enough to cut fabric. I also enjoy all of the leftover fabrics.

I like Stitchin' Heaven, Fat Quarter Shop and Connecting Threads. Some eBay folks are pretty cool, too.

There are some really sharp BOMs out there. Stitchin' Heaven's Ladies of the Sea applique BOM makes me practically giddy. Ain't she sweet? http://store.stitchinheaven.com/stor...&Item_ID=15441

Yikes, giddy isn't the word, awestruck seems more appropriate in my world.
    Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 AM

If I buy a kit, the pieces aren't precut and usually I'll only buy the kit if I love the fabric that comes with it. I've never had a problem with any kit that I have purchased.
    Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 AM

I stopped buying kit because I never get around to doing them as I am always working on my own designs.
    Old 08-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    Understand where you are coming from, if you are a quilter who wants to control all aspects of a quilt, then you will never be happy with a kit.
    even the most expensive ones will never live up to the heirloom quality quidelines that you use with each quilt.
    This is your way of quilting and it makes you happy so stick with it!
    I never cut my borders to size always cut larger, sew then trim. this way no stretching and it doesn't matter if with the gran or not!
    Hi, I think you hit the nail on the head. I really never noticed that I was that way. I do have definite ideas for fabrics and colors and prefer to pick it out myself. I do make changes in most things I make. If I feel another color and family will make it stand out more I do my own thing. If I don't like the shape of a applique flower or critter, I change it a bit. Guess that is how you make it your own. I appreciate everyones imput. You just think your the only one that feels that way. LOL
    Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 PM

I have purchased only two kits and had some problems with the instructions on both of them. You could do what they asked but it was very awkward and after making one walker bag, I figured out how to attach the top edge without all the hassle. Also made some book covers and a little sewing kit. The sewing kit instructions were atrocious. I just figured out what would work and did it my way and it turned out fine. I'm not usually too excited about the color combinations, really prefer to choose from my stash.
    Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 AM
    Power Poster

I love my kits. They have all been from Connecting Threads and I have never been disappointed. They always send extra fabric.