Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Library raffle >
  • Library raffle

• Library raffle

Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM

Default Library raffle

I will be in charge of library for my quilt guild next year. We add a book a month to our library and raffle two to three books. Although there are many good books out there, I still have to find four good ones each month which may be a challenge. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them. I do not want to buy books that nobody will ever read. What quilt related book do you swearby?
    Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM

I don't have any books to recommend, though I am sure there will be many folks posting good titles. I will be following this thread to see what they are! I was the librarian for our guild a year ago. I created three book reviews a month about books in our library, trying to get the books checked out, as we probably have 500 books. It made me sad to know how many books we had and how few were ever checked out. It was really hard knowing we had books that had been dedicated in memory of quilters who had passed on, and many of them had been there ten years, with no evidence they had ever been checked out.

What I am getting at is that this is a good idea, finding out what books are really good before you purchase them. You are one smart librarian!!

Dina
    Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM
    Power Poster

1. Big Book of Scrap Quilts - L. Amanda Owens (Editor) intermediate to advanced.
    2. Setting Solutions - Sharyn Craig
    3. The Border Workbook - Janet Kime
    4. Complete Guide to Quilting - better homes & gardens
    Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM

I've read "Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Waters" and I thought it was very good. Also "Mastering Quilt Marking" by Pepper Cory.

I am hoping that there will be some nice modern title suggestions that show up here. At Quilt Odyssey and also Quilt Extravaganza there was a book booth (I'll have to look up the name) which was all quilting and sewing. There were a ton of modern quilting titles and they all looked really good. I wish that I had jotted some of the books that I liked down. This is something we should keep in mind for next year.
    Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Our group is using Joan Ford's Scrap Therapy Cut The Scraps.
    Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I would suggest a visit to Amazon.com where you can read buyer reviews of all kinds of quilting books. This would be a great way to discover books that other quilters have enjoyed and recommend to their friends.

Jan in VA
    Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM

Thank you very much! I will look up all the books you suggested. I went through our records and there are many books that have not been checked out for years. I plan to add boks on free motion quilting, modern quilting, scraps, and whatever else I manage to find.
    Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM

I heard a great review on this book from another QB member:

http://www.amazon.com/Rotary-Cutting.../dp/1571208291
    Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Our guild gave up its library this year, and I find the same trend with church libraries. I don't think people read any less these days, but we live in a different time where information resources are abundant.
    Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    I don't have any books to recommend, though I am sure there will be many folks posting good titles. I will be following this thread to see what they are! I was the librarian for our guild a year ago. I created three book reviews a month about books in our library, trying to get the books checked out, as we probably have 500 books. It made me sad to know how many books we had and how few were ever checked out. It was really hard knowing we had books that had been dedicated in memory of quilters who had passed on, and many of them had been there ten years, with no evidence they had ever been checked out.

What I am getting at is that this is a good idea, finding out what books are really good before you purchase them. You are one smart librarian!!

Dina
    perhaps you could raffle these off to make money for the guild to use in other ways.