Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Light flexible batting >
  • Light flexible batting

• Light flexible batting

Old 09-23-2024, 12:01 AM

Default Light flexible batting

I haven't been around for a while because my DIL hated the baby quilt I made and it sort of put a roadblock on my creativity!
    I have another DIL who is pregnant and I want to make a baby throw quilt. I know they can't use them as blankets but it is to put on the floor so he/she can roll on it.

I am wondering if I can use fleece as a batting? I've used thin cotton and thin flexible polyester but I want something that really drapes. Is there something else I can use? I am happy with thin.
    Old 09-23-2024, 02:07 AM

Quilters Dream Request is a very thin batting and I use in my queen sized quilts for nice drape on the bed.
    Old 09-23-2024, 02:18 AM

Missouri Star quilt batting is the thinest I've come across.
    Old 09-23-2024, 03:24 AM

You didn't say why your d-i-l "hated" the baby quilt you made for her. I'm so sorry for that. Shame on her!
    As for a floor quilt, I'd want it to have some body so it doesn't wad up as the baby moves about.
    I don't know that I'd want fleece as the batting but it might work well simply putting it as a "combined" backing as well as the batting. it will be quite warm. If it's to be a throw, I like the self-binding little quilts that Jenny Doan first brought out the instructions. Those can end up as about any size, are light weight and drape quite well. No batting.
    My personal choice is the light polyester batting.
    Old 09-23-2024, 03:41 AM

I just quilted a quilt for a gal who used some fleece from JA....it was YUMMY!!! It had a wonderful drape and made the quilt so soft. I was in LOVE!
    Old 09-23-2024, 04:04 AM
    Power Poster

I have used fleece with good results and I have made a three flannel layer baby quilt years ago for the granddaughter who is now 21 and she used that quilt until she outgrew it physically. She told me recently she loved it. When she was tiny it was on the floor or in the car but then when she got a little older she used it in her bed.
    Old 09-23-2024, 04:45 AM
    Power Poster

So sorry your DIL is not nice. I don't have sons but so glad I don't have DIL's to please. Being the mom to two daughters I can still say what I want them to hear and I have put them in their place every now and then. I would never let them get away with being rude to their MILs who love the grands as much as I do.
    I use Missouri Star Best Blend batting. It's soft, thin, and makes the quilt cuddly even with heavy quilting..
    Old 09-23-2024, 10:40 AM

I'm sorry that your previous experience took away your quilting pleasure. Do you know why she didn't like the quilt? Some people just don't... My own children prefer minky blankets, which I detest. I'm all about natural fibers.

Either way, I'd definitely ask the mom and dad to be what they would like. I'd say that wool batting drapes beautifully, but it''s probably not what you want to be using in a baby quilt. A LA that I hadn't used previously used Quilter's Dream 80/20, it's definitely lighter than W&N. They also make a product called Quilter's Dream Angel, which is fire retardant and supposedly drapes nicely.

Congratulations on the new baby. I hope you continue to enjoy quilting!
    Old 09-23-2024, 10:51 AM

That would be the last quilt she got from *me.*.

I made a “floor quilt” for our first grand and used the second thinnest Quilter’s Dream - Select. It was adorable.

But it needed to be Way Thicker than it was! They had to put 2 layers of bath towels under it, so that he wouldn’t be injured. Sometimes they used polyester-stuffed Walmart quilts under it, too, which had a bit of cushion.

I was thinking about how to make it look good, not about the “bobbing head” stage or the perils of rolling over. Please rethink this.

hugs,
    charlotte
    Old 09-23-2024, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by sahansen44
    Quilters Dream Request is a very thin batting and I use in my queen sized quilts for nice drape on the bed.
    Quilter's Dream Request is one of my favorites. I also like the Quilter's Dream Bamboo batting. Very soft and drapey. I've also used Kyoto Bamboo batting which is another bamboo blend. Both are very thin batting.