Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lighting Question >
  • Lighting Question

• Lighting Question

Old 03-31-2016, 01:18 PM

If you are putting in counters along a wall, it is much easier to have the outlets just a little above counter height. That way, you don't have to crawl around to plug or unplug things. And don't forget to have surge protectors. You can put old dressers under the counters and have drawers for storage...much easier than under counter cabinets and a little paint will tie it all together. An island or peninsula counter can be used for a cutting and/or ironing surface. That way, you can access it from 3 sides. If you have an embroidery machine, measure the room you will need front to back and side to side so you have enough space for the movement required. Formica type counters are easy to keep free of all the dust that is generated. If you have and use a serger, make sure you have the room to leave it out and set up with neutral threads on the loopers so all you have to do is change the needle thread to match the color of your project. I have also serged quilt tops quite successfully depending on the pattern. Do you like your cutting, ironing and serging surfaces a bit higher? I stand to serge and prefer it. It works well for me to have my sergers on my cutting table along with patterns, a few books that I am presently using and some WIP. Mine is a 5 x 9 foot (formerly ping pong table) mounted on 2 used kitchen cabinets (repainted) under each end (more storage there) as well as an open area between the cabinets that I use for wide items. The base plywood is mounted on 3-4 inch castors so it can be moved and also elevates the whole thing to the height I desire for my cutting/serging table. My ironing surface is about 50 x 25 and there is an extension that is not padded/covered to rest my iron. Again, this is mounted on an old cabinet at my desired height for comfortable ironing (more paint makes it all look like it is a custom made matched set.) Be sure your overhead lighting is over your work areas. Lamps get in the way when you are quilting and need a large surface. Are your machines in cabinets? If they are up against counter space, there is more quilting space. Be sure you have room to the right of your machines for pins, scissors, stilettos, your instructions for your project, etc. Also, have a rolling cabinet (plastic ones work well) to pull up to your left. All that room supports a quilt more easily for quilting. There are so many more suggestions I could give you if you fmq. If you do, pm me and I will give you suggestions as to what has worked well for me. I am in the process of working on my sewing area and have put most of these suggestions in place or they will be soon. Flooring is an issue and so many other things to consider. I haven't brought in that easy chair for reading yet but it is on my list. Thread storage is another consideration which I have nearly completed. Do you need a/c and/or fans in the summer, heat in the winter? What about a design wall. I have floor to ceiling x 5 feet which can be expanded to 15 feet. Works great! Enjoy the process and take your time to determine exactly what you want before you get started. What about insulation in walls and ceiling? Sorry, I just can't seem to stop. Enjoy...there is so much fun ahead of you.
    Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM

I love the solar tubes and I have them in both of my bathrooms; what a difference. I also had my sewing room remodeled and I had LED light installed. They use less electricity and produce twice the amount of lighting. Halogen lights throw off too much heat and I like a lot of light when I sew and quilt.
    Old 03-31-2016, 03:46 PM
    RST

Solatubes are a bummer if you do a lot of your sewing at night. . .
    Old 03-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    It's not JUST the curly bulbs - nearly ALL fluorescent bulbs contain mercury. However, according to this article, the danger is a little overblown.

http://energyblog.nationalgeographic...rns-addressed/
    My uncle, an industrial tech teacher, gave my sis a small container (actually it was one of those plastic round zipper boxes from the 50's) with a bit of mercury in it--we played with it in the box--pushing it with our fingers, spinning it in the enclosed box, etc. Mom told us to always wash our hands afterward and not get it in our mouths--definitely a different age! PS.neither of us "mad as a hatter"! At least not yet!

Oh--you can also check out the different lights at a big box home improvement like Lowe's or Home Depot and they will actually have lighted samples so you can see the difference in the tones.
    Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 AM

I have been using LED and I love them. While the bulbs are initially more expensive, they do last a lot longer and use less than half the electricity. I find the colors to be more true.