Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lighting >
  • Lighting

• Lighting

Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 PM

iwould giv e my eye teeth for floresent. you can get some nice looking ones at home d or lowes. halogen bulbs are really expensive and get very, very hot.
    Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM

I've just realized that I have florescent in the master bathroom, the small dining room (banded by dark wood) and in the middle office. The front bedroom has a big modern twisted bulb that surprised me with the amount of light it produces. I can see quite well when sewing, on the computer or reading. The "daylight" ones are nice and make the colors real instead of dull and drab. Shows up white balls of cat hair too, way too easily.
    Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 PM

I have a cheapo standing light with a flexible neck and put a $10 Ott bulb in it. Perfect! Overhead florescents cause too much glare on the rulers when cutting, even tho I have sprayed them with Satin Finish Varathane. Got another bulb for my reading lamp,
    Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 PM

I have a couple of Daylight floor lamps, with 18w tubes. The arm is totally flexible and the head swivels 180 degrees, so you can light exactly where you want. I find them so good - the Daylight tubes do not get hot, no headaches or eyestrain.
    Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM

i have 3 double fluerescent (sp) hanging lamps in my 13 x 13 room as a compromise for not having a better room. in the other room i have another one over the quilter and a small desktop ottlamp for close work. the compromise is that i don't have that big space all to myself. i think i should. i think i should have them both. LOL!! and another computer. and new shelves. and a new color paint. and .......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
    Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I had an over head florescent light on the ceiling, two floor lamps with reveal light bulbs, a bendable floor lamp on my counter top shining a reveal light bulb down on my cutting board, a florescent desk lamp to shine on the other side of my cutting table.. Ugh it was horrible.. SO this is what hubby got me instead.. I put in the reveal lights and WOW!! What a difference!!!

I have a light- adjusted and pointed to the spots I need/wanted light!!!! Yay!!!!!
    What are "reveal" lights ??
    Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 AM

Well my hubby still says hanging florescent shop light for my area would be best...hmmm??? I'm turning the basement into my quilting room and the area is about 17 by 20 with just the one ceiling fan light in the middle. My cutting table is over in one corner and positioned so that I am facing away from the light kinda of blocking the light from the table. His idea is to have a shop like in the corner hanging directly over the cutting table but then one person said that it causes a glare on the rulers?? Gosh...I'm getting more confused :(
    Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by snicker dee
    My hubby suggested I ask the QB people for opinions on the subject of lighting in my work area. Right now I have an ugly overhead light bulb thingy with 2 bedroom lamps around the room. He has offered to put up track lighting of some kind. He likes florescent, I don't. I like halogen but he says it is expensive to use. Any opinions out there?
    The flourescents are great in my sewing room, we put the daylight bulbs(tubes) in it. They are alittle more expensive to buy, not more expensive to run, and give lots of natural lighting. The bulbs last about 1-1/2 years, so really economic. I have two, one over my cutting area, and the second over the sewing area.
    Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 AM

I have ceiling can lights, but that's not enough light to sew. So, I bought two of the little folding lights from Hancock's. They're like the Ott lights, just not the brand name. Then I bought a bendable bright light which attaches to your sewing machine. You can direct the light to the sewing area. It's a LED light bulb that is guaranteed to last for thousands of hours. Oh my, how I love it! I bought it from Quilting Warehouse.com for $27.95, the best price I could find. Some places ask as much as $49, but that's absurd. I can't hardly sew without it now. You can buy an extra bracket to put on other sewing machines so it can be moved from machine to machine.
    Old 12-29-2010, 02:11 AM
    Power Poster

one thing about halogen lights...THEY GET HOT!HOT!HOT!
    OTT lights are very good (expensive but if you were going to go expensive...worth the cost!)
    the ott light is a (day-light) light, shows true color and gives you the much needed zap of vitamin d
    and do not get anywhere near as hot as halogens.
    i need better lighting in my sewing room too...one of these days. right now i have the overhead and a couple task lights. i hope you show us pictures of your new lighting system when it is done...my hubby is not a 'handy-guy' for doing stuff like that. :thumbup: