Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lighting >
  • Lighting

• Lighting

Old 12-29-2010, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lynn Luker
    I am eager to hear the responses to this too. My husband has suggested a 'shop light' with florescent tubes. Right now I have a lamp and an Ott light.
    Thanks snicker dee for starting this!
    I have an Ott light, but it doesn't give out enough light for me to see where I am working not to mention the fact that the light on the sewing machine isn't worth the powder to blow it to kingdom come. So I have a goose neck and another "hurricane" lamp that is on my workspace. I don't like the Ott light that much. And I know it isn't my eyes, because the cataract surgery in both eyes gave me 20/20 vision! Edie
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:28 AM

I use goose-necked desk lamps. They are very light (and re-adjust or move whenever I want and are florescent. And they were verrrry cheap.
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 AM

Off topic slightly...have you noticed that the light on the newer sewing machines stinks? The bed is barely lit! I need a small lamp next to my new Brother machine. How foolish is THAT!?
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
    Off topic slightly...have you noticed that the light on the newer sewing machines stinks? The bed is barely lit! I need a small lamp next to my new Brother machine. How foolish is THAT!?
    Singer - same thing! It is the teeniest thing I have ever seen and I can't even thread the needle with it. I need a miner's hat! Edie
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:35 AM

I had shop lights in my old work area and I began to notice damage to one of my hanging prints. It was a signed one that my employer had given me and couldn't be replaced. Be careful about the bulbs you use if they are going to be on several hours a day. It can be like sunlight fading.
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 AM

I have florescent fixtures for day light bulbs. Great lighting. These are hung over work areas. Cutting table, Table with machine etc. The daylight bulbs are more expensive but in 7 years I have only replaced 3 of the 12 in the room. Make sure fixture will take daylight bulbs.
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 AM

I had a totally inadequate ceiling fixture in my tiny sewing room. My new hubby and I hit HD and came home with a flouresant fixture with "kitchen/bath" bulbs. It was easy to install and my eyes are so happy with the light.
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    Well my hubby still says hanging florescent shop light for my area would be best...hmmm??? I'm turning the basement into my quilting room and the area is about 17 by 20 with just the one ceiling fan light in the middle. My cutting table is over in one corner and positioned so that I am facing away from the light kinda of blocking the light from the table. His idea is to have a shop like in the corner hanging directly over the cutting table but then one person said that it causes a glare on the rulers?? Gosh...I'm getting more confused :(
    I have my sewing studio in the basement. When I had it built I had pot lights installed and use the Reveal bulbs. They give a natural light out. It lets you see the "True" color in your fabric. Here is a pic of part of my room; you'll see there is lots of light and no shadows cast. Hope this is the right pic. Sorry, wrong pic. I'll try to find it.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-149456.jpe  
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:24 AM

I have regular overhead ceiling lights and an Ott lamp, which I keep next to my sewing machine. I love my Ott light and would like to have at least one more.
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Originally Posted by Qbee
    Well my hubby still says hanging florescent shop light for my area would be best...hmmm??? I'm turning the basement into my quilting room and the area is about 17 by 20 with just the one ceiling fan light in the middle. My cutting table is over in one corner and positioned so that I am facing away from the light kinda of blocking the light from the table. His idea is to have a shop like in the corner hanging directly over the cutting table but then one person said that it causes a glare on the rulers?? Gosh...I'm getting more confused :(
    I have my sewing studio in the basement. When I had it built I had pot lights installed and use the Reveal bulbs. They give a natural light out. It lets you see the "True" color in your fabric. Here is a pic of part of my room; you'll see there is lots of light and no shadows cast. Hope this is the right pic. Sorry, wrong pic. I'll try to find it.
    Okay, trying again with right pic.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-149457.jpe