Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lighting >
  • Lighting

• Lighting

Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM

I have six foot flourescents. I also have ott lights.
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:47 PM

lots of great ideas out there
    Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by snicker dee
    My hubby suggested I ask the QB people for opinions on the subject of lighting in my work area. Right now I have an ugly overhead light bulb thingy with 2 bedroom lamps around the room. He has offered to put up track lighting of some kind. He likes florescent, I don't. I like halogen but he says it is expensive to use. Any opinions out there?
    I would not use track lighting. I put this up and it was a nightmare. The shadowing was horrible let alone the heat from the lights. I did put up florescent. I like this much better. It lights up the room greatly without the extra heat. I was like you and thought I would hate the florescent. I was wrong.
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM

I have a Philips florescent light, 40 watt, 48 inches long. It is classed as a T12 (economical to run). It will last 20,000 hours and gives off a cool, bright white light. Color temperature is 6,500K. The higher the color temperature is, the brighter the light. My sewing room is in the basement and only has one small window. When I flick the switch you would not believe the amount of light I get. I am more than pleased with the result. bea cda
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bea cda
    I have a Philips florescent light, 40 watt, 48 inches long. It is classed as a T12 (economical to run). It will last 20,000 hours and gives off a cool, bright white light. Color temperature is 6,500K. The higher the color temperature is, the brighter the light. My sewing room is in the basement and only has one small window. When I flick the switch you would not believe the amount of light I get. I am more than pleased with the result. bea cda
    ditto
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 PM

I like florescent lights over halogen, but I also have a couple of Ott lights that I use. I wonder if the new LED bulbs will be as "true" to colors?
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Alice T
    I have not tried the Ott lights but would like to know what others think of them. I have an overhead ceiling fan with 4 lights and two floor lamps with positionable lights that I can move around to hit different areas in my sewing area.
    Ott or their generic counterpart are fantastic. My mother, had alzheimers & came to live with us for 2 yrs before she passed - She also had macular degeneration. She loved to sew, knit, do hand work, crossword puzzles, etc - although she stopped being able to do them after a while - I got an Ott light after she was with us for about 3 months - The the lamp is bright -but it is only 27 watts - It really helped my mom see what she was doing and enbled her to read the newspaper, etc.

I love them - fabulous
    Old 12-29-2010, 06:58 PM

I can see much better and suffer no eye strain using fluorescent lighting. I have a 2-bulb fluorescent shop light over (and slightly to the rear of) my sewing machine and a 4-bulb ceiling fluorescent light over my cutting table. As long as all bulbs are functioning, the lighting is excellent. I have the shop light hooked to the very lowest links in the attached chains so that the lights are only about 1 yard above my machine bed.
    Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM

I have fluorescent ceiling lights over my cutting table and fabric shelves. I have a floor Ott light next to my machine..it has a bendable neck, so can position it anywhere I choose. This works the best for me...even at night.
    Old 12-29-2010, 07:18 PM

Fluorescent lights won't buzz if you get the ones with a better ballast. Halogen is too hot - had them in track lights over the kitchen counter and could feel them burning my scalp! And we have nine foot high ceilings!