Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >
  • Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

• Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 AM

My I can agree with all of this thread! My LQS offers all the good stuff, it is a joy to just walk in the shop and have someone say "Hi how are you doing today". Dropping the name here is good, Quilt n' Sew in Katy, Texas. They even posted an apology letter in their newsletter about the rising cost of 100% cottons and how they will hold the prices as long as they can. Just giving everyone fare warning.
    Old 01-16-2011, 06:50 AM

I'm one with health issues & my answer to crowded bolts etc on bottom shelves is too not go back.They give me no choice.

"I wonder how it must be for others who have serious mobility issues, and I guess lots of quilters do, given the typical age profile."
    Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 AM

I agree with most of the comments so far. I'm one of the full time workers who would like to see later hours at least one day a week, and the closed on Sundays/Mondays that seems to be the norm is not great for those who work either. I realize the owners/workers need days off too, but retailers would do quite a bit of business on Sunday. The shop I visit most often in a nearby town is crowded, but it does have a great selection.
    Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 AM

You might want to look to a previous discussion that was last week or the week before on ways to improve sales in this economy. Diane/Wyoming
    Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

Oh, the one closest to me is AWESOME. They have friendly ladies, and there is ALWYS something new there. Of course, its bad in a way, I always need a little of the new stuff, lol. Its big, bright and cheerful.
    The other one near by has really great prices, and the ladies there are really nice too.
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM

I have heard alot of people mention lighting. When our LQS moved into her space from another one of the first things she did was replace all the flourescent bulbs with the true color ones that mimic natural lighting. Diane/Wyoming
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 AM

I second (or third) those who say be nice to my dear Hubby. I won't go back to places that give my man a hairy eyeball.

Naturally, be nice. Smile. Try to remember our names. And no, we can't all afford expensive machines, kits, etc. Small sales sometimes lead to big sales, or even better yet, good PR. Quilters all talk to each other and will share stories about good stores and bad (rude) stores.

Good luck!!!
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:08 AM

I just thought of something regarding the days off business. With the economy being what it is and with so many people looking for work, I would think it would be advantageous to be open EVERY day, with rotating staff. I would think the increase in sales would more than make up for the increased overhead. Slow days can be addressed by having a really good bargain on those days.
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 AM

I totally agree with what everyone has said to this point but I just wanted to emphasize the sample thing.... I have looked at so many patterns and the photo on the outside just doesn't do it just at all. Yet I see a sample hanging on the wall with maybe cuter fabric and suddenly, I want to purchase the pattern. That is a huge thing for me. And --- nothing worse than employees who are not friendly.
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Classes and employees that can answer questions...because I am learning and have lots of questions ☺ Oh how I hope you are coming to my town!!