Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Linen napkins and table cloths >
  • Linen napkins and table cloths

• Linen napkins and table cloths

Old 11-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by dutchie
    You're quite right, Phyl. I love my table with a snowy cloth on it. Maybe I'm just being lazy. I think I'll go through all of my table linens stash and sort out what to use for the table and what to re-purpose for quits and whatnot.

Sue

Originally Posted by Phyl
    I use linen napkins and tablecloths!! As a matter of fact, I am just waiting for them to come out of the washing machine. The easy way to handle them is to wash them immediately after use, and then put the wet tablecloth on the dining room table ...over the pads of course, "hand iron" and by the morning, it is dry and straight. I take the napkins out, smooth them out over each other and let them air dry. (The spots come from the heat of the dryer so I don't put any of it in there.) Sometimes I iron the napkins while damp, sometimes not. If they look too ironed, people don't want to use them. Be more casual with them. Don't really iron them and starch them, etc. My guests always feel special using them and my family always loves the special feel to them as well. Use them. Whatever are we saving all of the "good" things for? No one deserves then more than family and friends.
    Hi Dutchie,
    Good for you! You deserve to have the best! Enjoy ...EVERYDAY!!!
    Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 AM

You can make amazing wholecloth quilts with your old linens...I've been doing it for years! Most of my pieces have some form of damage, i.e. holes, stains, small tears and are still useable. This is a wonderful and respectful way to turn family linens into heirloom quilts. You can visit my website at cindyneedham.com and visit my Gallery and Blog to see some examples of what you can do. I do a lot of teaching on my Blog providing instruction on creating these amazing quilts. I teach workshops on how to do these quilts but can walk you thru just about anything online too!
    Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 AM

Definitely take a look at Cindy Needham's book "Wholecloth Linen Quilts", it is just beautiful and filled with inspiration. I have been collecting antique linens for years now and am practicing with some of the badly damaged pieces to be sure I can do justice to a nice tablecloth!
    Old 11-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by katied772
    I have been collecting and using vintage linens, doilies, chenilles, doilies, etc. in wallhangings, collages, pillows, purses, etc. for years. Love the look and the idea of repurposing.
    I saw some pictures of quilts a lady had made with pretty embrodery tea table cloths used as a center for a quilt. They were very pretty. I think dresser scarves could be used for blocks.
    Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM

I still use mine, it's nice to set a nice table once in awhile but repurposing them sounds good too.
    Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM

I know one of us will come up with a great idea. You can email
    Marthas Sewing Room wwwmarthapullen.com she does different thing with heirlooms and such. She is great!