Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Linen Quilts >
  • Linen Quilts

• Linen Quilts

Old 07-07-2020, 06:17 AM

Question Linen Quilts

I am going to make a quilt entirely from linen for my sister. The front will be the Tapas pattern of 14 different colors, the back will be solid color linen. 2 questions: (1) linen frays so easily - has anyone serged edges when piecing?; and (2) sister cannot have/does not want silk, synthetic (no polyester), wool - suggestions for a batting? is there a linen/flax batting? pure cotton batting? Thank you. Karuna

Last edited by Karuna; 07-07-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    Old 07-07-2020, 06:22 AM

It's going to depend on your fabrics, you might want to increase your seam width or trim with pinking shears. I've seen serged quilts before with mixed results. Something like a jelly roll race can serge very nicely, but again, it's how your fabric reacts and whether it makes nice edges or uncomfortable ridges.

There are pure (organic even) cotton battings. You could run the idea of bamboo past her, some people feel the processing is excessive for a "pure" product.
    Old 07-07-2020, 06:25 AM

Yes, I have surged the edges. I made my pieces 1/2" larger and trimmed the same way as I would if I were paper piecing. This way I would still have a finished 1/4" seam to the back. It does require marking all pieces 1/4" larger than the pattern pieces. For me this worked great. As far as batting I would stay with W&N.
    Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 AM

I’ve done double stitching on fabrics that fray too much. I sew the 1/4 inch first, then go back and sew another row about 1/8 inch away from that.
    Old 07-07-2020, 07:17 AM

My only suggestion would be to cut your fabric squares or pieces larger and cut with pinking shears if you have them. Good luck on your project.
    Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 AM

You can purchase pinking blades for your rotary cutter, I think this would be the easiest option to implement. Serging is also a good option. Regarding battings, there are 100% cotton battings available; be aware that they will shrink. If you like that crinkly-antique-quilt look, you'll be fine. If you don't want it to crinkle much, purchase a cotton batting that includes instructions for how to pre-shrink it. If your sister has environmental concerns, avoid bamboo. I did a lot of research on bamboo batting about 10 years ago and it is horrid for the environment.

You might find these links about sewing/quilting with linen helpful:
    https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog...ith-linen.html
    https://suzyquilts.com/quilty-advent...-vi-sew-linen/
    https://www.mybluprint.com/article/quilting-with-linen
    https://www.quiltylove.com/quilting-essex-linen-fabric/
    https://www.quiltingdaily.com/using-linen-in-quilts/

Last edited by Peckish; 07-07-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 AM

Thank you - will use wider seam allowances
    Old 07-08-2020, 08:06 AM

Thank you and I did check out the links that you included, very much appreciated
    Old 07-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Default Thank you - I will incorporate your suggestions

I don't have pinking shears, never really considered them. I like the idea of wider seams and double stitching, using smaller stitches. I did check out those great web sites and I'm looking forward to starting on the quilt, waiting on some raspberry color linen from Europe, will be using heavy weight linen, lots of "rubs" because sister has dogs who are allowed on the bed
    Old 07-08-2020, 12:09 PM
    Power Poster

Please do yourself a favor and pre wash those fabrics before starting the quilt. Linen can run colors badly in the wash with the deeper colors. White vinegar in the rinse water helps stop it and set the color. Also, it can shrink. It depends on the weave of the fabric how much.