Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A little batting 101? >
  • A little batting 101?

• A little batting 101?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Black batting? I never imagined that batting would come in anything but white and natural! This is a great board - I learn something every time I get on it!
    Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    I've been getting in shirts for my t-shirt quilt so I've been thinking about the other materials I'll need. And today I've been hitting the batting. But its actually been a couple years since I've completed a quilt so I realized I forgot a some of what I know about batting since I haven't worked with it for a while.

I found out most of what I forgot through Internet sites and YouTube videos, but I'm having trouble finding a couple things. I remember that you should have your batting be bigger than your quilt top and backing, espessily if you're sending out your quilt to a long arm quilter. But I can't remember how much bigger your batting should be. Or even if you really need extra batting all around or if you do should your backing be the same size as your batting.

And I'm thinking about cotton batting, but a lot of sources say it shrinks a little and I'm a little worried what the shrinkage would do on a t-shirt quilt that has a few hard to find shirts. Could the batting be shrunk before being put into the quilt (spend a little time int eh dryer maybe?)?

Also thinking of getting black batting as all the t-shirts are black and the quilt will have grey sashing and borders, but the only black battings I've been able to find (so far) are polyester. Are there any sites that offer black batting in cotton or maybe even a cotton blend?
    I always recommend to my customers to have at least 4" more on all 4 sides of both the backing and the batting. If you would like to PM me with your quilt measurements I would be glad to give you a quote on your quilt top. I still have space available if you would like your quilt back before the holidays. Also do you know if you want a pantograph (edge to edge one design) or if you want custom quilting. Pantographs are normally much cheaper. Plus right now I am offering the batting free included in the quilting price.

Thanks,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter
    Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 PM

If you don't want it to be too warm; you can use flannel or muslin instead of batting. And you could also hand tie it instead of machine quilting.
    Old 10-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    I would love to see a pic of the quilt. It sounds cool.
    Actually, I don't have the quilt started yet. There's...concept art I guess would be the best thing to call it...on the thread I made describing the quilt. I have bought four shirts so far and three have came already (oddly enough, all the shirts are in the corners...haven't got the one in the upper left corner).
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-63742-1.htm
    Old 10-09-2010, 06:44 AM

Since the quilt is going to Alabama (and it's hot) I'd suggest a wool batting. Wool breathes and is perfect for southern or summer quilts. It wouldn't need to be black. Just be warned: when wet it will smell like a wet....sheep.

As for the batting size - check with the quilter. We all have our individual requirements. I prefer 4" extra all the way around for both the back and batting. That said, most of my customers buy the batting from me, and I just cut what I need off the roll.
    Old 10-09-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
    Since the quilt is going to Alabama (and it's hot) I'd suggest a wool batting. Wool breathes and is perfect for southern or summer quilts. It wouldn't need to be black. Just be warned: when wet it will smell like a wet....sheep.

As for the batting size - check with the quilter. We all have our individual requirements. I prefer 4" extra all the way around for both the back and batting. That said, most of my customers buy the batting from me, and I just cut what I need off the roll.
    I don't know about the wool. I've heard many not-so-good things on how to wash quilts that have wool batting: Its difficult to wash/it has to be hand washed/can't use the dryer on it/have to be careful or the wool will felt. I'm not entirely sure if I want to give my boyfriend a 6.5+ foot quilt that has to be handwashed (yes, it has to be that big---he's very tall. lol).
    Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Most wool batting out there now can be washed just like any other batting
    Old 10-09-2010, 04:36 PM

I did a test run on all the battings that I carry: cotton, cotton/poly, poly, puffy poly, bamboo and wool. The wool, as did all the battings, washed and dried beautifully.
    Old 10-09-2010, 05:10 PM
    Power Poster

I would talk to the longarmer before going any further. There's been a lot of discussion in the longarm groups that I belong to about T-shirt quilts. Some longarmers don't do them at all, while others specialize in them. Be sure that the person you go to has some experience with them. This person can also tell you about the type of batting that works best, how much bigger it must be, etc. I don't do longarming for others, but on my own quilts I want 3-4 inches extra batting and backing on each side so I can test my stitch length and tension off the quilt. (I add a piece of scrap top fabric to do this.) I need a little extra top and bottom, but not as much as on the sides. However - what you think of the sides may turn out to be the top and bottom on the longarm, depending on the size of the quilt and the size of the quilting frame.
    Old 10-09-2010, 05:19 PM

Hobbs has black cotton batting (just google Hobbs batting). You can pre-shrink the batting - it should have directions on the batt package for that.

As a long-arm quilter, I ask for 8" wider and longer then the quilt top for both the batting and the backing. So if your quilt top measured 60" square, I would likethe backing and batting to be 68" square. The quilt backing and batting have a way of creeping during the quilting process. I have had a quilt lose as much as 3" in width and length due to the intensity of the quilting shrinking it.

Do find a long-armer who specializes in doing t-shirt quilts. Some of us have never done them and you don't want us to learn on your quilt. If you would like a recommendation of somewhere to ask about the quilting, just PM me and I'll give you a website - not me or mine, nor am I affiliated in any way, just know they specialize in t-shirt quilts.

Hope that helps and we'd like to see a picture of this when you are finished!