Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A little tiny scratch on my new sewing machine. >
  • A little tiny scratch on my new sewing machine.

• A little tiny scratch on my new sewing machine.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Well, it gives your machine a piece of character....of course, you'll pad it better now so she does not get any more "character"
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by madamepurl
    :-( I'm so angry with myself at this moment. I just got a new Janome 3160 (plastic body with the stitches listed/printed on front), has a plastic case. Well I plan on using her as a travel sewing machine and back up if my Horizon goes into the shop. She sews just awesome though and I've been using her a lot in this past week and a half.

Well, I was so tired after our quilt day that on her first outing I put a scratch on her. I put her in the back of my suv and had to make a sharp turn and over she fell. :-( There is a little scratch on the case that I'm not worried about, but the outside is plastic and I rubbed one of the printed on stitches just a little off on one side. It's so minor that I didn't see it at first, but finally noticed it when I noticed some black inside the case. Purely cosmetic as she works great still - no issues I tested her out, but I'm just bummed. It's like getting a dent on a new car.

This was the big fear I had about taking out my big Horizion. It's heavy and the rolling tote they sent doesn't seem to have hardly any padding in it, which is why I wanted to get the smaller more travel friendly one.

I guess the good thing is I know better now and will pad her up and make sure she is tuck in cozy on the floor behind my seat. My husband said not to worry about it b/c it's a travel machine and things happen when you use items, but I'm still bummed. At least now I don't have to worry about that potential something happening, b/c it did now.

Anyway...thanks for letting me vent. Tell me I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Rose
    You keep refering to your sewing machine as "her" and "she". Does she have a name?
    Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm calling her May. I just got done reading Dreams of Joy the sequel to Shanghai Girls - anyway the little sister in Chinese is Mei Mei and the big sister is Jai Jai. Since she is the little sister of my Horizon, I figured May would be nice.
    Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mizunogirl
    Well, it gives your machine a piece of character....of course, you'll pad it better now so she does not get any more "character"
    Oh yes... we went out this week for another quilt class. I have a new bag, towel around, snugged behind the set. She didn't budge.
    Old 06-27-2011, 05:05 PM

I always said to my husband when we would get a new car just take a screwdriver out and scratch it to get it over with. No new cars anymore in this economy tho. Sorry for your scratch I occ scratch mine with my scissors
    Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
    She should have worn a seatbelt
    I use the seatbelt thru the handle on mine when I travel with my machine. My dealer recomends it.
    Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by madamepurl
    :-( I'm so angry with myself at this moment. I just got a new Janome 3160 (plastic body with the stitches listed/printed on front), has a plastic case. Well I plan on using her as a travel sewing machine and back up if my Horizon goes into the shop. She sews just awesome though and I've been using her a lot in this past week and a half.

Well, I was so tired after our quilt day that on her first outing I put a scratch on her. I put her in the back of my suv and had to make a sharp turn and over she fell. :-( There is a little scratch on the case that I'm not worried about, but the outside is plastic and I rubbed one of the printed on stitches just a little off on one side. It's so minor that I didn't see it at first, but finally noticed it when I noticed some black inside the case. Purely cosmetic as she works great still - no issues I tested her out, but I'm just bummed. It's like getting a dent on a new car.

This was the big fear I had about taking out my big Horizion. It's heavy and the rolling tote they sent doesn't seem to have hardly any padding in it, which is why I wanted to get the smaller more travel friendly one.

I guess the good thing is I know better now and will pad her up and make sure she is tuck in cozy on the floor behind my seat. My husband said not to worry about it b/c it's a travel machine and things happen when you use items, but I'm still bummed. At least now I don't have to worry about that potential something happening, b/c it did now.

Anyway...thanks for letting me vent. Tell me I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Rose
    Sorry, know how that first blemish is depressing.... Try this: make a special dated, hand-written card immortalizing the "event" for the person who inherits your machine (you know they will put their own "first mark on G'mas machine and feel terrible about it!) and tape it to the upper inside of the case. Something to ease the same feelings you are having now. ;)
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 AM

On its first outing, my 3160 toppled over in the trunk. Fortunately, only a rub mark on the outer case. From then on, I put it behind the seat and moved it to the trunk if I was leaving it in the car during the day while at work. Then back to behind the seat for the drive to my class.

The other day, I put a very very small "ding" in my new and expensive embroidery machine. Sulked for a few hours and then got over it. At some point, and if we love and use our machines, they will get marks or whatever on them.

I'm glad to hear you love your 3160. I love mine!
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM

A note to the future owner is an excellent idea. Thanks!
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
    On its first outing, my 3160 toppled over in the trunk. Fortunately, only a rub mark on the outer case. From then on, I put it behind the seat and moved it to the trunk if I was leaving it in the car during the day while at work. Then back to behind the seat for the drive to my class.

The other day, I put a very very small "ding" in my new and expensive embroidery machine. Sulked for a few hours and then got over it. At some point, and if we love and use our machines, they will get marks or whatever on them.

I'm glad to hear you love your 3160. I love mine!
    Oh I totally love the 3160 still. She is such a pleasure to sew on. I've gotten over it, but I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one this has happened too. She is so light weight.

I'm so sorry about the embroidery machine, but you have the right attitude. I agree completely. If we use them them they are going to have love marks.