Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Live and learn... >
  • Live and learn...

• Live and learn...

Old 02-20-2011, 03:56 PM

Oh, I bought it from Amazon. My hubby and I are Amazon junkies! He pays something like $75 a year for shipping and most of the things we buy ship free and fast.
    Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    I bought a Black & Decker on clearance at KMart at least 12 years ago. For some reason, it has an overly long cord, which I love. I've more than got my $7 worth out of that one. It doesn't turn itself off, thank goodness. When my son went off to school, I bought a new iron and sent the old one with him. In a few days, I called to make a trade. The shut off was terrible when sewing. He got the fancy new one.
    I'm with you Irish, I just got one with auto shut off and just about the time I heading back up there to press, it's off. Making me crazy. Now while I'm piecing I feel like I'm racing with the iron. I sew, trim, sew trim, all the while watching the iron "don't you dare shut off I only have five of these to do" "wait for me"...
    Ya, I'm done with it. (It's 4 weeks old). I suppose if it would go 30 minutes before it shuts off, but I swear it has to be about ten.
    Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM

I had two Rowenta's, Martha Stewart used that brand and raved on and on about how good they were. They both leaked within 6 months. I have an Oliso that I bought almost 4 years ago and it is still going. I have two Proctor Silex irons that I use for MABD's, but the Oliso has been my favorite. I have read threads on here about people not having good performance from them, but this one doesn't owe me a dime.
    Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    I buy the $10-$15 dollare irons at WalMart, they last about 3 years or so. I have not had any better luck with the more expensive ones, so I just go disposable :D:D:D
    I've had my $10 Sunbeam from Walmart for almost 4 years now....we definitley have gotten our money's worth out of them :thumbup:
    Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I had two Rowenta's, Martha Stewart used that brand and raved on and on about how good they were. They both leaked within 6 months. I have an Oliso that I bought almost 4 years ago and it is still going. I have two Proctor Silex irons that I use for MABD's, but the Oliso has been my favorite. I have read threads on here about people not having good performance from them, but this one doesn't owe me a dime.
    I love my oliso so worth the money to be able to have it sitting flat with a great dane in the house!
    Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tilladare
    I finally got tired of fighting with irons, both cheap and expensive. Last month I invested in Reliable's V100 iron. Yes, pricey, but...
    Separate chamber and heating components for water/steam
    Separate temp settings for soleplate and steam, so soleplate can be set at low for delicate fabrics, and still have high steam (or any other combo you might want to use)
    a replacable filter in the water chamber to filter out the calcium and stuff that ruins so many irons...
    oh and did I mention it has AUTO-SHUT-OFF-OVERRIDE!!??!!
    I have been very happy with my Rowenta but this post has intrigued me....I'm on a well with very hard water. Where did you find the Reliable V100 ?
    Old 02-20-2011, 07:13 PM
    Power Poster

I love my cheapo Panasonic that I've had a loooong time! A lot longer than my Rowenta that I didn't like at all!
    Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM

I have been very happy with my Rowenta but this post has intrigued me....I'm on a well with very hard water. Where did you find the Reliable V100 ?[/quote]

Amazon.com carries them