Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Log Cabin oops....can I fix this? >
  • Log Cabin oops....can I fix this?

• Log Cabin oops....can I fix this?

Old 03-29-2014, 04:51 AM

Depending on where you are in the process (do you have all the blocks set together?) what would happen if you appliquéd the right color over the offending strip or square. This is a technique used in repairing old quilts and, if done using the "ladder stitch", can be quite invisible. Not sure if this would be better than ripping.
    Old 03-29-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by nunnyJo
    I would unstitch or u will never b happy
    I agree with this. It will be noticed. Big time!
    One thing you have to remember when making a log cabin: after the center square, (light or dark) you put on two of the opposite color logs,then two center color logs. It goes that way until the end. If someone had told you that before, you wouldn't have put on so much red before noticing that it was wrong.

In Dunster's pictures all the blocks have red center squares. Then you would add two white logs, and the last logs will be red. If the center square is to be white, the first logs added would be two red ones, and the last logs added would be white. The center square is the predominant color. There is a little more of that color in the block.

Sorry, but I'm with the rippers. Good luck to you. You will be so much happier if you fix it.

Last edited by maviskw; 03-29-2014 at 05:04 AM.
    Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 AM

I am a re-do expert because I am very much a perfectionist. However, I also make very sure things are stacked correctly if I am going to chain-piece and check frequently to be sure I am doing it correctly. I would rather take out one or two as opposed to a hundred and two. It is so easy to make an error and so time consuming to have to re-do them.
    Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 AM

Looking at it again, it is only the third log that is wrong. It should be white. You have the center red square; then you added a white, which means that the next log should be white also. The next two red logs are fine. A lot less ripping!
    Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 AM

I have only done one log cabin in my many yrs of quilting...I do not like doing it...but I do remember the hint that you sew on the strips counterclockwise.......and something about if you sew over more than one seam when urging on another log, something is amiss. before I do any piecing, I make one sample block and pin it onto a small tabletop flannel covered board right in front of my work area........so I can check as I go....-- propped up at eye level....has saved much frog stitching ( rip-it,rip-it)....
    Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I am in process of making 42 log cabin squares for a quilt featuring the logo of Indiana University. The pattern is kind of confusing, and in mostly black and white. I am chain piecing, having all 42 blocks done up to the 4th log.....at least I thought. As I was starting the 5th log, I discovered my mistake....the 4th log is positioned on the wrong side of the cream center. My question is this....can I continue to place the logs (in the correct positions)? And how obvious will the misplaced logs be? Each block finishes at 5 inches, so they are relatively small. I could just kick myself for not realizing the error quicker and really dont want to rip them all out if I don't have to.
    I've been thinking on this--------------? And I'd have to do some ripping and make it right. I'm thinking you'll be sorry forever is you don't
    Old 03-29-2014, 06:34 AM

Guess I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my quilting... I would rip
    Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 AM

Sadly, I'm of the "rip'em" out group also. If you sit in front of tv, they'll be ripped before you know it and you will be ever so happy. But then again, being from Kentucky I know the Hoosiers are slightly off balance, LOL.. (Just kidding)
    Old 03-29-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    I don't know enough about log cabin blocks....having only made one block as part of a guild project...but I know I wouldn't want to rip out one "log" from 42 blocks. I would just figure out a way to like what I had. Or, I would "Stay calm and carry on" (my new favorite saying) and get my ripper out.

Not much help, am I?

Dina
    Listening to me frog 42 blocks? My hubby would probably put a muzzle on me. :-)

Marysewfun
    Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    Sadly, I'm of the "rip'em" out group also. If you sit in front of tv, they'll be ripped before you know it and you will be ever so happy. But then again, being from Kentucky I know the Hoosiers are slightly off balance, LOL.. (Just kidding)
    this Hoosier thinks Kentuckians are some of the grandest people on earth.