Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • log cabin - paper piece or not? >
  • log cabin - paper piece or not?

• log cabin - paper piece or not?

Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by smitty
    I'm in the same boat, but a little different----I have saved cut 1 1/2" strips for years. prefer logs already cut to size.
    but when you start on a whole box of them, have to decide which size you cut out of each, etc it becomes one large headache. so I am going to use the Eleanor Burns method & check each block carefully & square up as I go. I probably have enough strips for 4 quilts ! but I have never seen an ugly log cabin.
    What I do is I cut strips 1.5" wide, stacking them if possible. I have bins already set up for every length I will need from 1.5" to 9.5". I cut various size logs from this strip, placing them in the bins immediately. (I have one set of bins for light, another for dark.) I might start with a 9.5" log, then an 8.5", then whatever else I can get from this strip. On the next set of strips I start with a different length - maybe 7.5", 6.5", and then whatever fits. As I progress, I can see which of the bins are getting fuller and I try to keep them about equal. If I plan on using only red and gold for the centers, I only cut red, gold, and lights in the 1.5" length. Usually I will have several strips from each fabric, so I can cut all lengths from each fabric. Other times I only have enough of a fabric to cut a few 3.5" or smaller logs. This method works really well for me, and I think it's also easier to mix the fabrics up when you're sewing them on than when you're doing the Eleanor Burns method.
    Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 PM

If you don't mind the extra time it takes to paper piece, that is the way to go. I have made several log cabin quilts using the paper piecing method. I love that my blocks are consistent. I never like to hurry when I sew as that ruins the process for me. I think it is a matter of personal preference.
    I am sure whatever method you choose, you will have a beautiful quilt.
    Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 PM

I've done both ways. When I was making 4 inch finished log cabin blocks, I paper pieced them for accuracy but when it's a larger block, I did not paper piece.
    Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM

You can even buy muslin pre-printed foundations for both standard and uneven log cabin blocks. I have used these and it really makes the process easy. No measuring and precutting.
    Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68
    Just don't double the size of the strips. I mean the width. OMG, you should have seen the size of that quilt. Only one house in the family had a floor big enough to lay out the top for pinning. And I took a row off the top.
    Amen!!! I finished one this past summer where I increased the width of the strips, thinking it wouldn't make that much difference...it did! Bottom line to the story is that I ended up with two big quilts and a smaller one that was 56x56. Worked out great, I guess--I gave one to each son and one for us.
    Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Originally Posted by newbee3
    I am making one now. First one. I did find out that it is better to have your pieces cut to length. I did try it with a strip and just add pieces than cut to length it did not work out for me.
    I have found, too, cutting pieces cut to length works for me. Instead of PP try foundation piecing. Use a piece of lightweight fabric about 1 " larger than your finished size--muslin works. Start with your center square in the center wrong side to the muslin. Then piece as if you were sewing a regular log cabin using the measured pieces. The muslin helps keep the block from stretching and gives the block stability. I use this method especially for my small pieces--as small as 3/4" wide strips.
    I also found that cutting the strips to length works best. If I just sewed the strip on and then cut it, it didn't work out. The centre square pieced to the muslin sounds like a great idea!
    Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Originally Posted by newbee3
    I am making one now. First one. I did find out that it is better to have your pieces cut to length. I did try it with a strip and just add pieces than cut to length it did not work out for me.
    I have found, too, cutting pieces cut to length works for me. Instead of PP try foundation piecing. Use a piece of lightweight fabric about 1 " larger than your finished size--muslin works. Start with your center square in the center wrong side to the muslin. Then piece as if you were sewing a regular log cabin using the measured pieces. The muslin helps keep the block from stretching and gives the block stability. I use this method especially for my small pieces--as small as 3/4" wide strips.
    May I add....If you put a piece of batting on top of the muslin & sew your strips over the batting you'l have an almost finished block when you're done. For this method it's best to cut your muslin a little larger than the finished block will be. When you're ready to assemble your blocks, fold the muslin back & trim the batting/strips 1/4" wider than you want the completed block to be, then machine sew the blocks together using only the front piece (strips). When all is sewn together you can finish the back by folding the muslin to the inside & slip-stitch by hand ( it can be done by machine also, but everything needs to be precise if you do it that way)
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM

I love to paper piece but I would do the strip method for log cabin. :D
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 PM

to Amybaby,
    Precision starts with Washing, pressing, starching fabric. This process helps to shrink and straighten the grain of fabric.
    Then get a large rotary cutting mat with the grid printed on it to help keep everything straight and a yard long cutting ruler with grid, oh, and a good rotary cutter. I worked at a sewing store for two years and had to "finish" a small log cabin quilt another employee had started for display, then left on "medical" leave and never came back. First I had to take the whold D--- thing apart because nothing fit right. NONE of her strips were the same size, so I had to recut most of them. Yeah, I finally got it done. We should have classes on fabric cutting for beginners.
    NOTHING you sew will fit together properly unless it is cut correctly. Then sew STRAIGHT. Slow down. There is no prize for getting to the end first, and it has nothing to do with the price of your machine.
    Paper piecing is a lot of work just to avoid sloppy cutting. Also take the time to press before sewing on the next strip.
    By the way, there are some very nice "wonky cabin" quilts out there, but they are deliberately cut to go off square for the effect.
    Hey, now we have a use for all the fractions and other math they made us learn way back in elementary school.
    Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
    I love the log cabin block - but I have never paper pieced so it can be done very easily with strips and chain sewing - they usually go pretty quick. I would love to see a paper pieced one though.
    I've done paper piecing, but would not bother doing it for a log cabin block. As Otis says, they go together quick and easily. If you feel your piecing isn't really accurate yet, the paper piecing might be the route to take until you are more comfortable with the strip piecing or cut to length method.
    Work within your own comfort zone. :thumbup: