Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Log cabin quilting designs? >
  • Log cabin quilting designs?

• Log cabin quilting designs?

Old 11-27-2018, 10:18 AM

Default Log cabin quilting designs?

Hi Everyone.... I finally got that big 130 x135 log cabin top done.. now on to the quilting, I got it all sandwiched which was really hard but got it done without to many wrinkles in the back..I had to unpin a few spots and straighten the back, but that part is done and now it sits next to my Sweet Sixteen Sit down machine ready to be quilted..

I don't know why I am Procrastinating about starting the quilting.. HaHa

I was going to do feathers in the light part of the blocks but I am just starting to do feather and I am not that good at it, so I thought a all over quilt design would be ok, what do you think just do a all one design something like spiral design or something easy.. I can do the spiral design pretty good.. I really wanted to try something different but like i said I am not that good at other designs on paper they look good.....Do you think I should just try and do the feathers? I would feel really bad if the quilt came out looking bad.. as I put so much work in the top..

Do you think a all over design or try the feather what would you do..

I just need a little encouragement haha Thank you...
    Old 11-27-2018, 10:22 AM

I'll be watching this thread, because I too have a Log Cabin quilt that needs quilting. Not as big as yours though! Is yours scrappy?
    Old 11-27-2018, 10:39 AM

You go girl, go get 'em. Clap, Clap, Clap.

I don't know what else to say. I know I sure don't have the stamina or the talent to attempt that.

I have a Millie long arm, and a bad hip now. My only solution is a $9500.00 purchase of robotic software so I can push a button and watch it go. Right now I'm sending mine to Harriett C. in Southern Indiana. Anxiously awaiting the first one back. But she posted some great stuff the other day, so it should be good.

Marcia
    Old 11-27-2018, 11:03 AM
    Power Poster

I don't do feathers, I mainly just do FMQ like a large stipple. I love doing it.
    Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM
    Power Poster

If it is a traditional Log Cabin, a traditional quilting pattern like Baptist Fan would like nice. There are ways to do it in a continuous way by machine.
    Old 11-27-2018, 01:07 PM
    Power Poster

I've found that the only way to improve something is by practice. I think you should practice your feathers on that big quilt. If you don't do them because you're not good at it, you will never do them, and never get good at it.
    Old 11-27-2018, 03:06 PM

I agree with dunster. You will be really good at feathers by the time you are done with this and I think you will be very happy that you did the feathers. Don't compromise now! You can do it!
    Old 11-27-2018, 03:09 PM
    Power Poster

I agree about the practice - I can do feathers okay on a practice piece because there is nothing at stake! But everything else is getting better with practice. Once you get in a groove it will all come together. I'm thinking of a sit down - anything good or bad you can tell me?
    Old 11-27-2018, 04:06 PM
    Power Poster

I saw someone's LC quilt on the board the other day and it was gorgeous with feathers. But if that doesn't work.....
    I had my King LC quilted with an overall floral and leaves design. It's so pretty. I know nothing about longarm quilting but what she did was great.
    Good luck! You will surely be toasty warm with that one!
    Old 11-28-2018, 04:21 AM

Oh wow, that's a big quilt! I completely understand your hesitation about getting started with quilting. If you want to do feathers, go for it. I wouldn't necessarily start in the center, which will be showcased on the center of the bed, though. Perhaps you could start by quilting some of the darker sections, or stitch in the ditch to stabilize the quilt first. I'm assuming you pinned it in a way to avoid having to stop often to remove pins?

If you change your mind and don't do feathers, an all over design will still look lovely. LCs have such a strong design, the quilting can take a back seat. Also, an all over design may be easier to accomplish with such a large quilt, because once you've stitched an area, you don't have to go back over it.... Feathers (the way I do it ) take a couple passes.
    Good luck, and be sure to post pictures when you're done.