Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • lOG CABIN >
  • lOG CABIN

• lOG CABIN

Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 AM

I also like to cut each piece to the proper length before sewing it to the block. I found that strip piecing actually took longer for me, and my block was not as accurate. I also try to check my block after each round.
    Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle
    The most important is to make sure each block is perfect size after each addition. Most of us can't make perfect blocks, I find for myself it is best to take the time trimming as I go.
    So good to hear that other quilters have the same problem as mine. I trim as I go. Also, I make my last strips a little wider so even if the block is a little wonky, it will be square. Good Luck and just enjoy making the top !!
    Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 AM

I have done both ways and like them both but cutting all strips first will give you a better chance to make all blocks the same size . But if you are the Queen of easing in as I am then there is no problem either way. I will have to agree with the earlier post that it is great to know you have enough fabric before you start sewing
    Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 AM

I just finished the Labyrinth Walk quilt top, and found that if I cut as accurately as I could, and eased if I needed to, that my blocks came out just about perfect. It is basically a log cabin block, first I've done, and I feel like I really learned something in the process. I'll post a picture when I can get a little help - it's huge!
    Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 AM
    Power Poster

For a traditional log cabin I cut each piece to length. I learned from Judy Martin's log cabin book. I find that the pre-cut pieces help me keep the block from getting out of square.
    Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 AM

I have made several and tried both ways it was easier to keep the blocks the right size and not wonky by cutting the strips to length.
    Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Has anyone tried paper piecing the block. I have heard that is the way to get perfect blocks. I haven't tried that yet but a log cabin quilt is planned for later this year. Still deciding who will get it then will pick the colors. I have decided that the center block for me will be all the same, just not sure of color choice yet.
    Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

mine are never perfect so all mine are Wonky Log Cabins..lol
    Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM

i like the log cabin because it takes all that finicky work and throws it out the window. i have only made two log cabins - and one was an intentionally wonky picnic blanket, but i love the way the pattern just eats what in other works are mistakes.

now, if i was going to make a planned log cabin where all the fabrics were matched i might be more concerned. but there's a freedom in this tradition that allows the quiltmaker to let loose and just sew for pure pleasure, knowing it will all turn out

aileen
    Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 PM

Because I don't always have 100% perfect seams and I do try my best to do so and for the most part my seams are good, but I tend to square up my block after each additional strip is added, that is what works for me.