Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Log Cabins >
  • Log Cabins

• Log Cabins

Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 PM

I did one log cabin quilt. While it came out fine, I'm just not a fan of them in general. I'm also not one who buys lots of specialty rulers. Only have one that I can think of at the moment.

As others have mentioned, cutting and sewing accurately are really important with this block. I, too, would recommend lots of starch. And the wider you cut your 'logs' the less distortion you tend to get - at least in my opinion.
    Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    If you cut your strips WOF (from selvedge to selvedge) there's a bit of stretch. This can cause the blocks to get out of square if you use the 'sew then cut the excess' method. Starching the fabric or cutting the strips along the length of fabric (LOF) can minimize this, but the best way to stay on track is cut the strips to size first. Carefully press and square as you go
    I agree completely. After you've made a few blocks you probably won't even need to square as you go, because the blocks will already be square.
    Old 03-09-2017, 04:17 PM
    Power Poster

I have made several log cabins. I only have a couple of specialty rulers. Quilts I make do not require specialty rulers.
    Old 03-09-2017, 04:28 PM

Log cabin is my "go to" pattern - I never get bored of making them. I tend to paper piece my blocks - no wonky edges. I use regular "square" rulers to square up the blocks when finished. Never had any problems using regular rulers.

I am not a fan of "specialty" rulers. I think that most techniques that use these special rulers, can be done using standard quilting rulers. Just my opinion...
    Old 03-09-2017, 05:16 PM

I bought this log cabin trim tool after watching youtube tutorials about it. I just love the idea of NOT having to cut every daggone strip to size ahead of time. Grab a strip or a scrap that's just about the right length but too wide, and then simply sew and trim it off. Have I actually used it yet? No, but then again, I haven't started the quilt I have planned. I like it because it will do 2 different size blocks with one ruler. I think it's the 10 and 12"?
    Old 03-09-2017, 09:15 PM

Thanks for your comments, everyone! I'll try it without the ruler first and see how it goes.
    Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 AM

I haven't tried the tool and have always squared them up with a regular square up ruler. My personal preference is to spend the money on fabric.
    Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 AM

I have a Creative Grids log cabin ruler but I haven't used it yet...I did see it demoed and it sure takes the worry out of making sure your strips are exact and that you haven't distorted your block while pressing. A log cabin quilt is on my list of goals for this year.
    Old 03-10-2017, 04:52 AM
    Power Poster

I am not a fan of "specialty" rulers. I think that most techniques that use these special rulers, can be done using standard quilting rulers. Just my opinion...
    Of course many standard rulers can do what specialty rulers do but to me that is like making do because I have to. Making do for the sake of doing it doesn't appeal to me. If I had to that would be different.
    Old 03-10-2017, 04:54 AM

I own the curved log cabin ruler by Creative Grids. I love it. When I finish each they are perfectly square and all I have to do is sew them together. They also have a regular log cabin