Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lone Star Quilt >
  • Lone Star Quilt

• Lone Star Quilt

Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 PM

I have been looking for a 5 pointed one also. Looking forward to seeing all the replies.
    Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 PM

Is it possible we're talking about two different things? When someone says "lone star quilt", one star springs to mind, but when someone says "lone star state", a different star pops up in my head.

I just did about 10 minutes of online research. Most quilt historians agree that a Lone Star quilt has an 8 pointed star, although some say historians say they can have 6, 10, or 12 points. They are also known by other names such as: Mathematical Star, Star of Bethlehem, Star of the East, and Morning Star.
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Im starting the 8 pointed Lone Star using the Quilt Smart method. It uses rectangles and is fail proof!
    Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 AM

I am new to the board and would like to make this comment. I belive part of the issue Ix the term "lone" star. In Texas the Lone Star is the 5 pointed star so Texans are always looking for this pattern. This is the issue. A 5 pointed star cannot be treated from a diamond so only a pattern with a small star were each point can be created in one cut will work. This means it cannot be a single or Lone star in the middle of a quilt. This the term "LONE" or single star in the center of the quilt. A quilt created by the diamond shape will create the 4, 6, 8, points star. I did figure a way around this but it causes a little fabric loss. If any one is interested in this please feel free to ask. Thanks for listening.
    Old 07-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Native Americans have been known for Lone Star quilts long before all of us were here on earth! Maybe even before Texas?? I see lots of houses around here with the 5 pointed stars above their doors and Ive seen them in stores sold as Texas Stars. I like both versions. I think there are Texas Stars and Lone Stars as well as Texas Lone Stars!
    Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM

http://www.kayewood.com/item/Starmak...mplate/218/c68

Kaye Wood has a 72 degree triangle template for making a 5 pointed star. Seems logical that you could use the same techniques used for the 8 pointed lone star but cut at 72 degrees instead to get a 5 pointed star. Good luck.
    Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ree-nee
    The Lonestar that was made by DGF has 8 points and this was back in the early half of the last century around 1950.
    I never saw a five point either.
    1950 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the middle of the last century? Maybe technically. Not emotionally. I was born in 1947
    Old 01-29-2020, 07:18 PM

Exclamation 5-point Lone Star

Originally Posted by NIICHMOM
    My mother & I were talking and Looking at patterns and she asked about the Lone Star Pattern. So we went there...only to find all 8 pointed Lone Stars, But she said the the original Lone Star is only a 5 Pointed Star. I have been looking the internet for a quilt pattern for this star and haven't found any. So I'm asking if any of you have seen this pattern or have done a 5 pointed Lone Star Quilt? I have been reading this QB for about a yr. now, and we have alot of QuiltSmart People here. Seems if there is a question asked, someone knows the answer or where to get it. Thanks in advance..
    This quilt was on the Mountain Mist batting paper that came within the plastic bag. It came out in the late '50's early '60's. I am also looking for this pattern. !! If you have this pattern post it. Momma made this quilt top for my Great-grandpa but it was never quilted as he passed. The top was burned. I want to replace the pattern and remake the quilt. This was to be my quilt and I really would love to have the pattern once again. Momma has also now passed so I cannot even get it from her. Thanks for all your help.
    There were also 7-point and 9-point stars. Would also love to have these patterns. However the 5-point is the original Lone Star Quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-31-2020 at 04:25 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 01-30-2020, 02:59 AM

Was the quilt 5 point stars inside circles? If so I found this: https://westernkentuckyuniversity.pa...3-552973174051 scroll down & look at the last 2 photos. It's called "Patriot's Pride". Sadly I could not find the pattern or any photos of the quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-30-2020 at 04:51 AM.
    Old 01-30-2020, 06:27 AM

I too went looking for about 20 minutes through everything I could think of and found nothing that came close to the multicolor 6 point Lone Star quilt. Sorry I was not able to be of any help.