Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • long arm catastrophy >
  • long arm catastrophy

• long arm catastrophy

Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM

That is a real shame. Yep I agree pick out the stitches. I learned to keep a quilt sample attached to my frame along side of the quilt and practice on it before starting on the quilt top. The sample is only about 6-8 inches wide,one end flipped and pinned over and attached to top bar so that it rolls free when I forward quilt top, and then just hold loose end over the belly bar with my belly when I take practice stitches. I do this every time I put in a new bobbin for that quilt top. It is real easy to just lift and look at back for bobbin stitches. Saves bending and looking up, and no need for a mirror either. I also keep a magnafying glass close so that I can get good look at my stitches. I hope this is clear enough to understand.
    Old 07-22-2010, 02:50 AM

At machine convention in Kansas, this spring, one of the vendors had a small camera type thing that mounts below the frame and keeps an eye on the bottom tension. I don't remember the name as I have a sit down machine so it wouldn't help for me.
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:06 AM

If you have a computer and a webcam, you could set this up/ What a pain!
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 AM

I have the same problem when I use my Singer to quilt. Sometimes I get in such a hurry I "swoop" through curves and the thread can't keep up. Try going slower through the curves. As for now HAPPY PICKING. Sorry
    Old 07-22-2010, 04:50 AM

I'm sorry that happened to you! I always do a test piece before beginning on my "masterpiece." Your quilt is beautiful and very much worth the effort to pick it out. This has happened to me too, therefore the lesson to do the test piece, and it is my experience that it picks out pretty easily because it's loose.

One more thing...my aunt works in a sewing machine dealer store and told me that as a rule of thumb (not set in stone but usually), you can bet that if it looks wrong on the backside, something is wrong with the upper thread and conversely, if it looks wrong on the topside, something is wrong with the bottom thread. I find this to be a good rule and true most of the time. If it's not one of those threads, change the needle! She tells me don't be so stingy with those needles, change them often! :)
    Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 AM

I feel your pain :( When I first began LA'n, I did a lot of rip'n. I have a Gammill & you definately have to wrap your thread 1 3/4 times around. Once your tension is properly adjusted, it is rare that it messes up... Do you use the machine's bobbin winder or a stand alone bobbin winder. My initial tension problem was the bobbin winder wasn't working properly. I use a stand alone and all I had to do was open up the prongs that the bobbin sits on. Then I went about following the manual to adjust top & bobbin tension, using practice muslin til I got it right. Even now, I get an occassional tension issue. One time it turned out I had a 'bad' cone of thread. So many things can affect tension.

Sorry you have to rip. Once you get it re-quilted, you'll be glad you did :)
    Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 AM

so sorry, it will be easy to unsew. just snip the bobbin thread every 4 or 5 inches and pull it. it is ready to come out easy. ask me how I know. LOL I am a longarmer and had this happen on a customers quilt. now I check my tension right off the bat.
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by insecurity
    I have the same problem when I use my Singer to quilt. Sometimes I get in such a hurry I "swoop" through curves and the thread can't keep up. Try going slower through the curves. As for now HAPPY PICKING. Sorry
    I think along w/the tension being off, my "swoops" may have been to fast also. I will remember that in the future...slow down!!!
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
    Do you use the machine's bobbin winder or a stand alone bobbin winder. :)
    My friend does have a stand alone bobbin winder but it messed up two bobbins itself!!! Thread was poking thru the holes on the bobbin.
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 AM

Hi Jenna,

Have you ever seen anyone skin a quilt top from the sandwich?

I have learned to do it for pretty much the same reason, bad tension, ugly quilting stitches.

Here is a link to a video. I recommend a curved blade, sickle shaped. You can find them at LQS. They are made like surgical scalpels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDwPPU_1jw

Aardie.