Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • long arm catastrophy >
  • long arm catastrophy

• long arm catastrophy

Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM

I haven't done much machine quilting yet, but this is a horror story I'd like to avoid. Great idea about the mirror tile--I'm going to get one!

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    boy, that is too bad :(
    i keep a mirror tile right on my quilting table and as soon as i start i use it to look at my stitching on the back and i check it again each time i change bobbins, notice a new noise, stop for a few minutes...i am always taking a moment to walk around the table and check to see how it is looking...because
    i did that once, only about 2 feet wide before i realized it was not stitching well, but enough that it took me almost 8 hours to pick it all out and then had to re do it...now i check so there is never more than i strip across the quilt and usually less because when i turn the quilt and start again i go 4-6 inches, stop and check it...if all is well i continue...it is a hard lesson to learn.
    i give classes on my machine and rent out time...i always stress taking this step...sometimes people don't take me seriously...and i will stop by the machine to see how they are doing and i always pick up the mirror and look at the back; sometimes i have to tell them...oops better stop what you are doing, you have a problem...see this is exactly why i told you to take a moment and check.
    sorry you have had this experience...i would offer to help you fix it if i were the friend who did this...have you talked to her about it?
    Old 07-22-2010, 07:09 AM

BITE THE BULLET!! Take out the stitching, the top is so pretty that you will forever regret not doing a good job on the back side. Plus, I think those stitches will pop out all on their own over time..... 8-)
    Old 07-22-2010, 07:15 AM

Since you have to do a good amount of frogging I suggest you do the skinning method. Google youtube skinning a quilt and see a video of how to do this. I just had a similar experience and this method worked well.

I've included the youtube address but it might not work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDwPPU_1jw
    Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Your quilt is just so lovely that I have to say start picking. I think you would be truly disappointed everytime you looked at your quilt if you don't rip it out and start over.
    Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Always to be sure to check the tension off to the side of the quilt before you begin. As longarmers we always ask for 3-4 inches extra backing and batting on each side. I tell my customers I own this fabric. This is where I test my tension after every bobbin change. I won't quilt the body of the quilt until I am satisfied off to the side. It looks like the top tension was to loose and and the bobbin thread pulled it down. PM me if you need someone to quilt this, I would be happy to discuss this with you.
    Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Hey, this sounds like a wonderful idea!
    Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM

I agree the stitching has to come out. It should be easy if you cut the loops on the back of the quilt. The you-tube
    video is very good . You should watch it.
    Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lucydog
    Since you have to do a good amount of frogging I suggest you do the skinning method. Google youtube skinning a quilt and see a video of how to do this. I just had a similar experience and this method worked well.

I've included the youtube address but it might not work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDwPPU_1jw
    Wow.....that was a great video!
    Old 07-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Might have a small tip that would help out. Try snipping the bobin thread about every 4 inches or so, then grab that thread with a pair of tweezers and pull really quickly. It doesn't leave the little puckers, and make fuzzy marks that way. Hope I explained it right
    Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi, I had a very similar problem. It was not a large quilt (twin
    size). Well, when I finished my attempt I was ready to throw it into the trash. I removed it from my sight for a couple of days...When I looked again it was still horrible. I was going to rip out but decided to put on another backing fabric. It took a long time to pin it on tight etc but I did. With right sides together I stitched 3 sides, turned it right side out and then closed the opening and top stitched the edges. I was prepared that it might be too loose and decided if that was the case, I was prepared to tie it only to the back. It finished perfect.
    No tying necessary.

Good luck. Dorrie