Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • long arm catastrophy >
  • long arm catastrophy

• long arm catastrophy

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM

I am sooooo sorry that you will spend so much time removing the stitching. I guess it is a good lesson. Bring a small mirror and check the backside frequently. We should all learn to check the backside of our quilts periodically whether we are machine quilting or longarm quilting.
    Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 PM

Oh, I am so sorry about this. Know you must not only be frustrated but MAD, I would be. If we lived closed I would help. Hugs.
    Helen
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 AM

You really need to take out the quilting, you will be much happier with your quilt. It should be fairly easy.
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Calif Jane
    Wish I were nearby, I'd be happy to help you pick.
    Me too, I can use all the pickers I can get, LOL!!! Thanks for the offer :).
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
    What size is the quilt? Good luck and you will definitely get to know your seam ripper well.
    The quilt is 68x86, so not huge but big enough when you have to rip, lol. I think we can get it done pretty quickly. My dd, and two ds's will all help. Thanks
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by auntiehenno
    Oh, I am so sorry about this. Know you must not only be frustrated but MAD, I would be. If we lived closed I would help. Hugs.
    Helen
    Thanks Helen. I am not really mad, well maybe at myself for going on when I noticed something was wrong. But, getting mad will not get the stitches out any faster so I will put my frustrations into the picking. Thanks.
    Old 07-23-2010, 06:06 AM

Definitly looks like a time to unsew. :(
    Looks like the machine quilter needs to have her machine
    serviced. Hopefully she didn't expect you to pay for this.(?)
    Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
    Thanks for all the replies, and complements on the quilt. I actually noticed a problem at one point but my friend acted like it was no big deal. Guess I should have made more noise unstead of going on, oh well. Her machine is a Gammill, which she bought used. She has had tension problems plenty of times before. Some things I thought were a bit strange...1)her repair man gave her a "special" bobbin winder because he thinks the machine winds the bobbins unevenly (just so happens 2 of the 3 bobbins she did on the "special" machine were messed up!!!) 2)on the threading path of the LA there is one tension disk that the manuel and video say to wrap around twice, but her repair man said no just wrap once! Sounds to me like she needs to get a new repair man!!! And, she seemed a bit sorry but just told me to get a crochet hook and go in and pull the threads in between the layers. That just won't work...too many. So, dd and I will have a picking party ourselves. Hopefully since some are loose, as someone mentioned, it won't be so bad. And, I am sure if I made a stink she would help but since she did not charge me and I actually did the quilting, I probably won't mention anything to her about taking it out. Well, good lesson learned...and I will keep the mirror trick in mind for future use.
    I was having tension problems with my handi quilter. Called the manufacturer; live person in customer service answered and within less then 8 minutes told me how to adjust the tension and I was on my way. Sorry you had a mess. Been there done that.
    Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 AM

i feel your frustration. the same thing happened to me the first time i used my friends longarm she has a Gammill as well. lucky for me, she was the one that set the bobbin in wrong so she spent the night picking out the back. she's a very good friend! now i go to my LQS and use a newer machine. have never had a problem there.

btw, i LOVE your quilt.
    Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 AM

artery forceps help to grab a short tail and grip it to slide the thread out [lots of practice unpicking almost perfected the job but aged eyes slow me down] if you nick the fabric [hope you don't] applique a heart harts go with everthing!!!!