Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Long Arm Quilting Question >
  • Long Arm Quilting Question

• Long Arm Quilting Question

Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 PM

Default Long Arm Quilting Question

I am new to this and had a quilt on the longarm tonight that I removed and am now unquilting.

My first problem was visiting while doing the quilting - because I didn't check the back like I should have and there are all kinds of loops.

Every once in a while I would have some loops on the back and it appears that the tension must be the issue because most of the stitches have been pretty easy to remove.

Where do I start in figuring out how to fix this so I can reload the quilt and get it done? Is part of the problem the thread - I am using a varigated thread by Signature - I used it before on a quilt without any problems.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 AM

Okay, I am a novice too but I think it is the tension. There are many groups on the net that can help with that as well as you can search here and see if there are any answers for you. Sorry I am not more help than that.
    Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by w7sue
    I am new to this and had a quilt on the longarm tonight that I removed and am now unquilting.

My first problem was visiting while doing the quilting - because I didn't check the back like I should have and there are all kinds of loops.

Every once in a while I would have some loops on the back and it appears that the tension must be the issue because most of the stitches have been pretty easy to remove.

Where do I start in figuring out how to fix this so I can reload the quilt and get it done? Is part of the problem the thread - I am using a varigated thread by Signature - I used it before on a quilt without any problems.

Any help will be appreciated.
    The first thing I do is unthread the top AND the bottom, making sure I have the machine threaded correctly.
    Then I check my needle. Make sure it is all the way in and turned the right way. (My Gammill has a round top with no notch, so it isn't hard to turn the needle backwards.)
    Make sure the quilt is taught, not tight when rolled on.
    Usually, this will take care of the problem and I don't need to mess with the tension discs.
    Old 06-07-2012, 03:31 AM

I agree with JustMe. Let us know if doing all that doesn't solve your looping problem. If it doesn't, I think you will have to adjust your tension--no big deal. We can help you with that, just give a holler. (I doubt the thread is any problem, since you have used that brand before with no problems.)
    Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 AM

Totally agree. First rethread top and check bobbin. Sometimes if the bobbin is getting low it will act up. Do those, check on scrap and then work on the tension. This usually works for me.
    Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM

After you have done all the above you might need to tighten your top tension. Run a practice piece and keep tightening and checking stitches.
    Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 AM

failure to lower your presser foot will do exactly what you described. ask me how i know.
    Old 06-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Your practice piece should match what your trying to work with... same fabric weight and thread count (ish) same batting same type of top fabric.. not saying you should peice a practice top just the same type of fabric... Just a thought- Mona~
    Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by dojo36
    failure to lower your presser foot will do exactly what you described. ask me how i know.
    Ditto.........
    Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Ditto.........
    And ditto again..... also, I have found that I get loops on the bottom if I'm moving the machine too fast for the stitch speed... I have a tendency to move faster going around a loop...