Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Long arm quilting? >
  • Long arm quilting?

• Long arm quilting?

Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM

I have quilted for a few years and have a Babylock quilting machine. I am considering moving into the world of long arm quilting. How difficult/complicated is it? What do you recommend looking for in a quilting machine? Is it worth it for quilting as a hobby?
    Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

There's lots of info on the homequiltingsystems group at http://groups.yahoo.com . A lot of the quilters there have longarms for their hobby.
    Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    There's lots of info on the homequiltingsystems group at http://groups.yahoo.com . A lot of the quilters there have longarms for their hobby.
    There are lots of yahoo groups and manufacturer site groups on the net. Get all the info you can, read a lot and find sources to try out each brand. You can google each brand, look for reviews, become familuar with the different functions (stitch regulater etc.) and decide which are important to you. Try any that you can, every machine has a different feel. Educate yourself before you buy, this will be a big investment.
    I do have a Tin Lizzie and use it only for my quilts and a few of my neighbors. I bought mine second hand, it was about half what a new one cost at the time. Used machines are often listed on manufacturers sites, people trade up.
    Old 08-15-2010, 04:10 PM

I upgraded to a longarm and do not regret it.there is a learning curve,but if you love to quilt that will not pose a problem.I bought an Innova 18" on a 12 ft frame-and love it.there are many brands-most are good-just everyone has different needs and preferences.If someone lives near you maybe you could watch and try one.It is costly but worth every cent if you like to quilt.
    Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM
    Power Poster

I took mine in baby steps. I got a Grace frame and put my Juki on it. The Juki has a nine inch throat. It doesn't quilt as large of an area each time but it works for me and was a lot cheaper. Someday maybe I can get a long arm but this works for me for now.
    Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 PM

I'm still a beginner quilter, yet doing some research into longarm quilting. I am currently looking at the Babylock jewel. Can anyone provide an opinion on this or any other machine? Do you know if this machine would be a good investment for a business?
    Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 PM
    Banned

I have been using an INnova at my LQS ( I work there) and I am getting mine in a few days...a 26 inch long arm....I think it is a good price for all that you get.... WWW.ABMinternational.com That has all the information about the machine..you can also PM me if you have any questions I can help you.
    Charisma
    Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 PM

I have never regretted buying my longarm. I have a Gammill and love it. There are different sizes so you can choose the one that fits your needs. Important to me...their service is fantastic before, during and after the sale!