Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • long arm sit down vs stand up >
  • long arm sit down vs stand up

• long arm sit down vs stand up

Old 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM

I've been looking at the sit-down Innova with the stitch regulator, but you know, that type of machine doesn't eliminate the dreadful part of the quilting process - basting. Only a frame eliminates the b-word.

So, now I'm weighing the two, yet AGAIN.

I really LOVE the free-motion quilting and I don't relish the idea of having to re-learn how to draw all over again - but a machine that eliminates the basting would make the learning curve worth it.
    Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM

I can't do a sitdown...it bothers my hands to push the fabric around. In general, if you aren't worried about saving money I would look at a stand up.
    Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM

I would say its all personal preference and what you have room for. I am awaiting the delivery of my new Innova machine and can't wait!!!
    Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    I've been looking at the sit-down Innova with the stitch regulator, but you know, that type of machine doesn't eliminate the dreadful part of the quilting process - basting. Only a frame eliminates the b-word.

So, now I'm weighing the two, yet AGAIN.

I really LOVE the free-motion quilting and I don't relish the idea of having to re-learn how to draw all over again - but a machine that eliminates the basting would make the learning curve worth it.

If you buy the Innova with the Lightening Stitch, it has the basting stitch already programmed in. You still need to baste the sides and across the top of the quilt on any LA. They are having a sale until the end of the month: http://innovalongarm.com/specials.php

I love my Innova. I have a 26" with Lightening stitch on a 12 ft frame. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, you can always buy a drafting chair and sit at your LA. That is on my wish list. I just bought the ez locks, which are now included in the new packages.

Last edited by caspharm; 03-19-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM

I have a longarm that people usually stand up to. I do stand up for most quilting, but because of back problems I sit, too. I found I do better feathers when sitting. I bought a saddle stood that is on castors. I can just ride around my shop going back and forth at the machine, and quilt to my hearts content. The only adjustments that have to be made is the chair -- either I adjust it to a different height or I get off it. Easy peasy!!!

Personally, if I were to do it over, I would STILL buy a stand up model. Resale price would be better and you have a choice of which you want to do.
    My machine is an HQ Avante.....Beth in Maryland (An Arm Long) said hers has microhandles. They're an accessory on mine --- I sew just fine without them.

Last edited by amandasgramma; 03-19-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
    OK - So now I'm really confused. I test drove a Tin Lizzie 18" this weekend and thought I wanted a sit down machine.
    They had a fantastic sale on stand up machines so I looked at those as well. I know that for the difference in price I'm getting a much better deal with the stand up but I'm wondering how easy it is to do stitches like SID or echo with a long arm stand-up vs. and sitdown. I know there is a learning curve moving the machine instead of the fabric but I don't know about having enough control to use the stand up for SID. I'd hate to have to use my Babylock for those type of quilitng stitches and not be able to use the long arm. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks and need to start dropping some hints. Thanks for your suggestions.
    I have an A-1 with a 12' frame and it comes with a saddle stool. That stool is so comfortable and you can LA and sit. Look up saddle stools in google. I've ordered two and they were back ordered both times - people are discovering how comfortable they are.