Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do? >
  • Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

• Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1rottendog
    Something similar happened to me. The longarmer was recommended by a local quilt shop. I took my quilt into the shop and showed the owner what had happened. They took her business cards off the rack and wouldn't recommend her to anyone anymore. I received no apology or price reduction either.
    Rather than bad-mouth her, do as 1rottendog did. And then ask them for recommendatiions to fix the problem. That way you aren't bad mouthing her. Was this a LA quilter local to your vicinity or did you send it out? How did you get her name? If she was recommended by someone, ask them about their experiences with her. Just some thoughts.
    Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 PM

It I were you, I would cover the hole with some hand-appliqued flowers, using colors and fabrics that compliment your quilt colors...add a few here and there in other places on the border, and no one will ever know there was a hole there, your quilt will just have some extra-special touches added.
    Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM

sigh.... I really hope you and your LA quilter can work this out. This comes under the heading of "Sh__ happens" but it's repairable - as is your relationship - IF the lines of communication can stay open.

This post just makes me sad. Not just about this quilt, but some of the responses. Call the BBB? Take her to court? Destroy her at the local quilt shop?? Get a rope??!! OMG! Things happen, and depending on the size of the hole, it could be missed in the final inspection. I don't know how many times I don't spot missing quilting until after I post a picture. And I would be just sick about a tear or rip, and would do my best to make this right. AS WOULD EVERY LA QUILTER I KNOW!!! But in the grand scheme of things, this is all repairable. Please chill people!
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 PM

if you had this quilting done by someone on ebay contact the customer relations and let them know. They are pretty good at getting you satisfaction.
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 PM
    JJs
    Banned

and people wonder why I do NOT do any quilting for anybody but myself and my daughter!!

I did do a quilt for the guild - one (1) time... I didn't even mind doing the quilting for free but wasn't reimbursed for the batting or the backing - nobody even gave me the opportunity to say, 'don't worry about it'....
    It wouldn't bother me so much except I know they paid for the first quilt to be done and nobody batted an eye over the bill... but the lqs closed so I did the next one.

There have been hints and innuendo about 'somebody' doing the quilting for this, that, or the other - I just pretend I have no clue what it's all about...

I've even had people make comments along the line that I'm 'selfish' or 'don't you feel guilty' ...
    uh no, because hello, guess who paid for the setup! Nobody came along and said 'hey, you look like you need a free longarm and frame setup'... duh....
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM

She may have not read the emails, so call her before jumping to the conclusion she doesn't care.
    Also,in such instances (not that I'd ever use a LA) I pay with a credit card and stop a payment immediatley until the issue is resolved
    Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    Be careful. She could sue for libel.
    Can a person sue for libel if the statements made are the true?
    Be ready to PROVE it's true.
    Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM

I have a seizure disorder and while trimming a quilt I made, I had a small one. I clipped a small hole in a flower petal. I got creative and dug through my applique collection,. I found a bumble bee, and put it over the hole. Worked great, and looks 'planned'. (It was an iron on, but I don't trust them to stay on, so after I ironed it down, I stitched it carefully where it would not show. Use a thimble to sew it, those little things are stiff after you iron them.) If your quilt is all straight lines, try appliqueing a floating shape or a 'floating' block. Think smaller or larger than the others for 'artistic effect. You could even do a series of shapes floating to the edge. You are a quilter, there are no mistakes, just opportunities for self expression. :thumbup:
    Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    Be careful. She could sue for libel.
    In order to prove libel, she would have to prove that what you say is not the truth. Stick to the facts, dates, cost, # of emails sent, etc., and tell your truth as you know it. I would let others know what was done to your ARTWORK. She should be on the phone making it right, if she doesn't want the truth told, or wants it to reflect well on her business. If it was an accident, or she did not realize it happened, she would 'man up' and make you as happy as possible. Remember- In any court, "he/she who is most reasonable wins." Good Luck.
    Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
    sigh.... I really hope you and your LA quilter can work this out. This comes under the heading of "Sh__ happens" but it's repairable - as is your relationship - IF the lines of communication can stay open.

This post just makes me sad. Not just about this quilt, but some of the responses. Call the BBB? Take her to court? Destroy her at the local quilt shop?? Get a rope??!! OMG! Things happen, and depending on the size of the hole, it could be missed in the final inspection. I don't know how many times I don't spot missing quilting until after I post a picture. And I would be just sick about a tear or rip, and would do my best to make this right. AS WOULD EVERY LA QUILTER I KNOW!!! But in the grand scheme of things, this is all repairable. Please chill people!
    This is my FAVORITE reply to this question; Calm, reasonable and not vindictive. Thanks!