Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do? >
  • Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

• Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 PM

This exact thing happened to me also. Thankfully it was a busy print, I appliqued a circle of the same fabric over the hole and it was very hard to find the spot. I never did say anything to the quilter, I should have, but I figured what's done is done, now I have to fix it. I hope that you will be able to fix your quilt.
    Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 AM

I found a small V-shaped snip in the border of a customer's quilt when I was quilting it - of course, it was the last border to get quilted. I took a picture of it and emailed it to her. I knew I hadn't cut the fabric, but I offered to have it stitched closed by a professional appliquer here in my town. It was less then 1/4" on each side of the V. She opted to do the repair herself.

I did cut one of my own quilts when snipping thread - nice little circle! I was so grateful the quilt was mine, but it still made me mad at myself. I am extremely careful since that accident.

As a "professional" longarmer, I would be extremely upset if I ruined a customer's quilt. I know the amount of money and time involved in every quilt...my quilts all have, literally, blood, sweat and tears invested in them! I had a longarmer ruin my very first quilt...that's why I bought a longarm 9 months after I learned to piece.

Quilty hugs!!
    Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 AM

I would take another piece of border material and "patch" it with like thread. I made a mistake on a quilt and this is how I fixed it. Unless I tell you where the "patch" is, you really have to look for it! Good luck!
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 AM

My response wasn't to the original problem, yes, things happen, but when it was brought to the LA's attention, she apparently didn't care and wasn't going to attempt to do anything about it. THAT is wrong and should be dealt with. Attitude is everything!! All she had to do was say she didn't know about it and then make suggestions to fix it, or offer to fix it, or even apologize which it seems she didn't.
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM

so what happened to the lady who posted about this? Has she even been back on the forum?
    I understand her frutstration about this. I would be livid that I hadn't heard back from the longarmer. CALL HER!
    The longarmer should have responded better. Of course, we all make mistakes but when you are in business, it's up to you to keep your customers happy. Especially when you rip a hole in their quilt.
    We bent over backwards in order to insure that our customers were happy with their quilts. If that meant taking the quilt back to put more quilting in the borders, we did it. If we had to rip quilting out cuz it looked yucky, we did it.
    She should have communicated with her customer better.
    Old 12-14-2010, 11:11 AM
    Banned

Truth is a complete defense to libel. But in this particular case proving the truth might be hard, as if the longarmer denies having done the damage and the quilt was out of her hands and control, there isn't any actual evidence that she did it. I'd forget about publishing anything about the experience in writing as this might only cause more trouble. Word-of-mouth (sister of libel called "slander) is the same in terms of legal issues. Just be careful.

Dana
    Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by smockingRN
    Originally Posted by Shelley
    sigh.... I really hope you and your LA quilter can work this out. This comes under the heading of "Sh__ happens" but it's repairable - as is your relationship - IF the lines of communication can stay open.

This post just makes me sad. Not just about this quilt, but some of the responses. Call the BBB? Take her to court? Destroy her at the local quilt shop?? Get a rope??!! OMG! Things happen, and depending on the size of the hole, it could be missed in the final inspection. I don't know how many times I don't spot missing quilting until after I post a picture. And I would be just sick about a tear or rip, and would do my best to make this right. AS WOULD EVERY LA QUILTER I KNOW!!! But in the grand scheme of things, this is all repairable. Please chill people!
    This is my FAVORITE reply to this question; Calm, reasonable and not vindictive. Thanks!
    My sentiments also. Yes, she should try to make amends, but you said her quilting was okay, and it was an error that can be fixed. In the grand scheme of life, ill feelings are just not worth it.
    Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM

Beth,
    I really really like your avatar!
    Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Shelley
    sigh.... I really hope you and your LA quilter can work this out. This comes under the heading of "Sh__ happens" but it's repairable - as is your relationship - IF the lines of communication can stay open.

This post just makes me sad. Not just about this quilt, but some of the responses. Call the BBB? Take her to court? Destroy her at the local quilt shop?? Get a rope??!! OMG! Things happen, and depending on the size of the hole, it could be missed in the final inspection. I don't know how many times I don't spot missing quilting until after I post a picture. And I would be just sick about a tear or rip, and would do my best to make this right. AS WOULD EVERY LA QUILTER I KNOW!!! But in the grand scheme of things, this is all repairable. Please chill people!
    Well said...
    Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
    Bea

I am sorry to hear about your quilt but in the "real world" it would be best to call her and work it out in person. Things are always best settled in person than on paper. There are a lot more important things in life and making it hard for the LA quilter is not one of them. Treat her like you would like to be treated.