Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Longarm quilting machine. Which one? >
  • Longarm quilting machine. Which one?

• Longarm quilting machine. Which one?

Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Hi there,
    The Tin Lizzie company actually makes the Viking MQ 18x8. The Imperial frame that Viking sells is actually made by the Grace frame company. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples though. I will eventually get the MQ 18x8 but have the original MQ for now. The Viking 18x8 has a stitch regulator on it and it is not an add on. I believe with one of the Tin Lizzie's, can't remember which one, the stitch regulator is an add on. If this is a feature you really want, just double check as that can drop a price significantly. Also compare frames. I have been told by numerous people regardless of their machine brand, that say a metal frame is the way to go. Excellent customer service is invaluable though, and if they are setting it up for you and teaching you, that is wonderful.
    I am a member of several Yahoo groups and I also recommend joining them. The home quilting systems group is wonderful and there are numerous groups for individual types of machines. These groups are invaluable. I have learned so much. Good luck and congrats on the new setup. :) :)
    Kim
    Viking MQ on Inspira w/QCC
    Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Tin Lizzie's stitch regulator is not an add-on, it comes with the machine, included in the price.
    Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM

It seems to be easier to teach/learn with the regulator turned off, and I have no idea why :?:

The regulator is a good tool I use mine 99% of the time.
    Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Hi Nena,

Yes, I hauled the boxes home in the back of the car and spent more than the two hours the company said it would take to setup the frame. I don't think it was their fault, I waited until 9:30pm to start!

If you go with the imperial or the previous next generation frame, both by Gracie for Viking, you will want a second pair of hands to set it up. But it is very doable.

The small Viking Mega quilter is not a problem to setup. I only had a moment of fun with the tension in the threading. After I got it right, it made perfect sense.

Oh, and the frame comes with a great setup DVD. It really is good.
    Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 AM

Thank you all so much for your input. I did a lot of searching online ,and narrowed it down to 3. I knew you ladies would give great advice. I have decided to go with The Tin Lizzy 18. I am soooo excited.
    I'm sure you will be hearing more from me later.

Thanks again everyone
    Happy Quilting
    Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 AM

hello nena, how do you like your TL?? do you have the Queen Quilter or the newer LS model? i am so torn! i too was looking at the viking MQ. a floor model, and i would have to buy a new frame.
    then found the TL Queen quilter and i can have a brand new machine, frame and all the other things AND save about $3000. any helping words?
    LuvinEveyst.
    Old 08-20-2010, 01:21 PM

LuvinEveyst, I love my TL (Lucy) Ha
    I looked at several before deceiding on the Ten Lizzie. I watched Teresa at "Needle and Threads" use the one there and the price was right and she was soooooo helpful. I went with it and so glad I did. I pd. 6500.00 for the machine and frame + I did pay her to come to WV from NC and set it up. I can call her anytime to ask questions and she is so good to explain anything to me. It is the TL18LS with reg. stitching. Good luck. You are going to have so much fun with whatever you choose.
    Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 AM

thank you, thank you!! i am so happy you answered my note! i have been laboring--over this all week. i have not test drove but i have looked at the shows. tried to read reviews but they are few and far between. i know there are problems but each machine is different and each person handles their machines differently. i have spoken to the people at Sewing Machines Plus, in calif. about 6 times. this is where i will get my TL from. you didn't mention if you got the LS or the Queen quilter. from the price it sounds like you got the LS -- it stops sewing when you stop moving the machine. i will get the Queen quilter, have to push the button to stop the needle from sewing.
    i am so happy that you are satisfied and happy with your machine. i have to say that this place in calif. has some very nice nice people working there. they are having a sale on the queen quilter--guess they want to make room for the LS. they gave me a price of $5500 for machine and frame. they said they would even fly me to calif. and back (i would have to pay for hotel and food) to teach me how
    to use it! they will support me for every little thing--phone calls but they would find a dealer nearer to me if i had problems that we couldn't fix over the phone and make sure i got the first year service without charge.
    so that's my story and i think i am going for it! if you have anymore to add please write to me anytime! thank you again for getting back to me so soon. enjoy and happy quilting for a very long time!! are you on facebook? i am look me up if you are-- evey penman, i have some quilts on my page. my email is [email protected] i always like new friends! God Bless and be well! evey